How To forum

Question

How to preserve ink when not using a printer

I have a four-cartridge printer printer -- I travel frequently, and often come home to find the thing out of ink, even with no usage (and turned off). Is there any way to prevent?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to preserve ink when not using a printer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to preserve ink when not using a printer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
No make/model so my advice is to change to laser printers.

In reply to: How to preserve ink when not using a printer

The ink in your common color laser printer does not dry out like that as it is dry.
Bob

Collapse -
Epson 520 AIO Inkjet

In reply to: No make/model so my advice is to change to laser printers.

Yeah, I know, but was trying to avoid buying a new printer. Have had similar problems with Brother machines -- seems reated to separate (three) color cartridges.

Collapse -
Answer
Typical operation

In reply to: How to preserve ink when not using a printer

The nature of ink carts is that they are a liquid. Plus, the flow must be conductive in order to print right. You didn't mention how long you're away, but if this going to be your pattern, then store the printer in an "air-tight" container. Seems odd, but reduction of open air flow will help. But, inkjets are simply a cheap printer no matter how much you paid for it. Also, you have an Epson, one of the most problematic printers due to ink clogs, they simply are more prone to it. If you continue to to use inkjets, then look into ink carts that have the "printhead" as part of the make-up. As already stated to you, with the overall cost of ink carts, etc., then a laser printer maybe a better alternative.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.