PC Hardware forum

Question

How to power a 5v Chipset Fan?

by RobertRaspperry / November 20, 2011 6:17 AM PST

I have a 5v Chipset fan, 40mm out of a Toshiba Satellite. It has a Red, Blue, and Yellow wire. I was wondering how I would go about powering that fan so I can make a cooling pad out of it.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to power a 5v Chipset Fan?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to power a 5v Chipset Fan?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Let's try simple.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 20, 2011 6:31 AM PST

Red = +5
Blue = Gnd
Yellow Tach signal.

You only need the red and blue.
Bob

Collapse -
by RobertRaspperry / November 20, 2011 6:42 AM PST
In reply to: Let's try simple.

But how would I power it though?

Collapse -
Any way you feel like it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 20, 2011 6:45 AM PST
In reply to: reply

I can't know what 5 Volt power you have available. You could recycle some extra wall wart or get another.
Bob

Collapse -
by RobertRaspperry / November 20, 2011 7:10 AM PST

I'm not understanding what you said?

Collapse -
Then you may not be ready to build your own cooler.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 20, 2011 7:24 AM PST

Since you don't know what a power supply is, then you may want to buy a cooler.

Collapse -
by RobertRaspperry / November 20, 2011 7:29 AM PST

I know what a power supply is, Your last post made no sense, The grammar was off.

Collapse -
Said cable needs power.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 20, 2011 7:47 AM PST

Cables don't supply power, they can transfer it so it may be something or a part of the kit.

But you still need a power supply. The common wall power supply AKA wall wart is something those that build things may have spares or extras we can re-cycle or re-purpose.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
What usage
by Willy / November 20, 2011 9:13 AM PST

Where do you plan to use this on laptop or desktop PC? -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
laptop
by RobertRaspperry / November 20, 2011 11:26 AM PST
In reply to: What usage

I'm just going to stick it under my RAM vent.

Collapse -
Get your DVOM . . .
by Coryphaeus / November 20, 2011 9:23 PM PST
In reply to: laptop

and find a power lead that supplies 5 VDC. The Molex power leads from the power supply and the USB ports provide 12 VDC. But certain leads from the power supply do indeed provide 5 VDC. It's up to you to find them. The colors described by Bob are correct.

And no, you cannot assume any specific voltage from any specific color wire from the power supply.

Collapse -
I just noticed you said laptop . . .
by Coryphaeus / November 20, 2011 9:25 PM PST

Radio Shack or similar place will have external power supplies that will furnish 5 VDC. I'll let you look.

Collapse -
Power supplies
by Willy / November 20, 2011 11:26 PM PST

As explained to you, if you have access to a "AC wall power adapter" one that is 5V or 6V(most likely), you have power. Sometimes called a "power wart" it's one that many electronic devices get power from. The only other possible source would be a USB port. You need a USB plug, some old device, strip it and use the 5v and grd. leads. if you have to buy an AC adapter, that maybe 1/2 of the cost of a new laptop cooler.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.