HolidayBuyer's Guide

How To forum

Resolved Question

How to play movies External HD on a samsung lcd series6 tv

by bennymenz / August 10, 2011 9:59 AM PDT

Hi, I have a new Samsung Story 2TB hard drive and hoped to plug it into my Samsung series6 lcd tv via WISELINK, however it doesn't recognise it? Any advice on what to do? Is there a software upgrade I could use?

bennymenz has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to play movies External HD on a samsung lcd series6 tv
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to play movies External HD on a samsung lcd series6 tv
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by bennymenz

Collapse -
Common solutions today.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 10, 2011 10:14 AM PDT

1. Put the external drive on some PC and use Samsung's DLNA Server software.
2. Plug the drive into the TV and if it supports it, you can play content.
3. Go get a box like a BOXEE or Logitech Revue (now at 99 bucks is a good deal) and plug the drive into that.
http://www.logitech.com/en-us/smartTV/revue

Bob

Collapse -
Blu-ray player BD-P1500
by bennymenz / August 10, 2011 12:14 PM PDT

Thanks Bob, I've plugged it in and it doesn't seem to support it unfortunately. I also have a blu-ray disc player, model BD-P1500 so now I'm wondering if I can upgrade it's software to take a external drive and play the movies through it!?

Collapse -
I don't know your capabilities.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 11, 2011 1:57 AM PDT

Sorry but I'm just a programmer and electronics designer and can't know if you write code for your players. Most of us can only use what the player maker's offer. My bet is any update only corrects a flaw or adds code to let new BD titles play but I'm guessing about the BD player's maker's code.

Sorry again but my view as an embedded software and hardware designer means that all things are possible.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.