HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Help forum

General discussion

How to PERFORM a Windows XP Repair Installation.

by dhrwfan / February 15, 2008 10:12 PM PST

Beware....

How to PERFORM a Windows XP Repair Installation

#1. Set your computer to boot from your Windows XP CD.

#2 Make sure you have your Windows XP product KEY.

#3. Boot from the XP CD and ?press any key? to start.

#4 It will say ?setup is inspecting your computer?s hardware configuration.?

#5. The next screen will say ?Windows setup?.

#6. Next screen says, ?Welcome to setup?. PRESS ?ENTER?.

DO NOT choose ?R? for repair. {This is for the command prompt ?R? feature}

#7. Next screen ?press F8, I agree?.

#8. Next screen says, ?Windows XP Setup??Don?t be alarmed, that is correct.

#9. Next screen gives you two choices?Choose ?To repair the selected Windows XP installation PRESS R? and just below it will show this:

C:\ Windows ?Microsoft Windows XP ? ...is highlighted.

Use the up down arrow and Choose ?To repair the selected Windows XP installation PRESS ?R? now. {This is not the same command prompt ?R? as in step 6}

#10. Next screen will say ?please wait while Windows copies files to the windows installation folders?.

#11. Next screen will say ?Please wait while setup initializes your Windows XP configuration?

#12. Next screen will say ?This portion of setup has completed successfully? your computer will reboot in 10 seconds?

TAKE THE CD out of the computer now so the computer boots from the hard drive. If you miss taking it out that?s OK, just ignore {do not press a key} the ?press any key to boot from the CD? when it boots and it will boot from the hard drive.

#13. Next the installation page loads??Regional and Language Options? Press NEXT.

#14. Next your ?Product Key? page loads?type in the product key in the boxes and press next.

#15. Next the installation page loads and it will say ?setup will complete in approximately: 34 minutes?. Music and entertainment just got better.

#16. Next it will say ?installing network? followed by ?installing devices?.

#17 The next screen will say ?completing installation?.

#18 Next screen will show ?Windows XP boot screen logo? Please wait?

#19 Finally the next screen says, ?Welcome to Microsoft Windows?..

And now the AMAZING PART?open YOUR computer and you will see ALL your stuff?everything is the same?

I just did two practice ?Windows XP Repair Installations? and the printer software was missing some parts, sound did not work, wireless did not work?and other drivers had to be reinstalled?

So the down side for doing a Repair Installation is that many programs are missing drivers or parts and some system drivers are missing? such as sound driver, Ethernet driver etc?so beware..and make sure you have them and make sure you open hardware devices and see if anything is missing.

But the upside out weighs the downside in that MOST of your stuff is untouched by the reinstallation including MOST drivers?

I liked the results even though I always use "restore a drive image" that I have saved on and external hard drive that I keep for back up.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to PERFORM a Windows XP Repair Installation.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to PERFORM a Windows XP Repair Installation.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.