Computer Help forum

General discussion

How to partition an external HDD?

by atindra / March 2, 2006 7:44 AM PST

Hi, I am new here.
How to partition a hard-drive attached externally to laptop. Can USB-HDD have an alternate OS (for example Linux)and can I run on my laptop alternatively which has pre-installed HDD with win-XP home?
This seems a great forum and I am sure, some expert will turnout soon.
Thanks in advance,
Atindra

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to partition an external HDD?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to partition an external HDD?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Partitioning An External Drive
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 2, 2006 8:03 AM PST

With XP installed, you might be able to partition the drive by using Disk Management but installing and booting Linux is another issue.. Open the control panel, then double click on 'Administrative Tools" icon, then the "Computer Management" icon, then click on the "Disk Management" listing on the left side. From there you should be able to create multiple partitions on the newly connected external hard drive.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=309000

Still, I'm not sure that you could create a dual-boot situation with the external drive. On the other hand, there are articles about how to do it..See the links below and let us know if it works:

http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-fireboot.html?ca=dgr-lnxw09FireBoot

http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-91755.html

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Thanks
by atindra / March 2, 2006 9:15 AM PST

Thanks Grif,
I will try and later update the situation.
Atindra

Collapse -
Well...
by joesmithers06 / March 2, 2006 8:15 AM PST

If you had a Mac, booting off an external drive would have been a standard feature for years, but with a PC it's kind of a crap shoot as to whether your BIOS supports that sort of thing. Some do, many don't. At least not without a floppy or CD to bootstrap the whole process.

Laptops in particular, are a bit finicky with Linux. Primarily due to their use of proprietary hardware, so before you go getting too far into the process, you might want to use a search engine to see what kind of results others have had getting Linux working on your particular model. A good quick test, is to try something like Knoppix, which is a LiveCD Linux distribution. It'll give you a good idea what hardware is and isn't supported on your laptop, though it's likely not definitive.

Collapse -
Thanks
by atindra / March 2, 2006 9:21 AM PST
In reply to: Well...

Hi, on my acer laptop, I had tried Lindows (linspire) previously without any problem. I had dual boot system with my laptop's two partitions having two different OSes. I did not have any problem but my HDD in laptop is too small so I just removed linux. Now since I am planning to buy an ext. HDD, I wish to do that dual boot adventure again.
Thanks for the comments.
Atindra

Collapse -
No. Windows does not boot from USB drives.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 2, 2006 9:43 AM PST

You are free to try it. But bicycling down dead end streets is not much fun.

Bob

Collapse -
Thanks
by atindra / March 2, 2006 1:06 PM PST

What about Linux?
I am planning to boot linux from EXT. drive. windows is already there in C drive.
Atindra

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.