General discussion

How to move large files on the web ?

Aug 18, 2008 4:40PM PDT

I do a lot of work that involves advertising, photography, video editing, DVD authoring, photoshop and illustrator files. The illustrator vector files are fairly compressed but the photoshop raster files can be extremely large. Sometimes, I have someone wishing to send me a large portfolio folder, or I find I may want to send a big file to someone else. As an example, I recently had an artist send me a hi-res portfolio of his book covers to be made into a promotional DVD for comic-con. One of the CD's he sent me had the wrong pics on it, so I had to wait for the correct pics to be sent, which delayed the project several days. I can compress a single file for emailing, but can not drop the resolution as a way to minimize folder size if the file is going to be printed. I work predominantly on a mac, but many of my customers use windows based operating systems.

What is the best method for sending and receiving large digital files from a variety of customers ?

? If I get an FTP site, can I keep one client from accessing someone else's folders?
? I noticed that Skype allows for file transfer... is VOIP practical for sending large files?
? This month's macworld made mention of a bit torrent program for such a chore. What about using a bit torrent program such as Transmission for creating a bit torrent folder for moving large files to a single customer ?
? Are paid services available? Is a paid service the best choice ?

I am looking for a method that I can both send and receive these large files. It should be easy enough for a less than tech savvy customer to send me files after I give them a minimal explanation of how to do it. Preferably, it would involve no cost to a customer, and no need for them to install software.

Any suggestions or shared experience would be helpful.

Thanks... Carroll

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: How to move large files on the web ?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: How to move large files on the web ?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Simple. Gmail.
Aug 18, 2008 9:28PM PDT
- Collapse -
Here is an example of just one prepress image
Aug 18, 2008 10:54PM PDT

Note the size as listed in the information window for the image alone...

http://img141.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=49877_Picture_1_122_1083lo.jpg

The folder holding the image, reference images, original .psd and .ai files for this one poster come out at 14.6 mb of space. Ordinarily, I don't have to send all that stuff, but if I was to send 10 comp images alone (of this size), then I'm looking at 50 - 60 mbs uncompressed.

I am not faced with this scenario too often but I am trying to anticipate future needs.

Thanks for your input

- Collapse -
For that, you want FTP service. Here's why.
Aug 18, 2008 11:30PM PDT

1. Fastest possible transfer times.
2. Meets some of your requirements such as users but I decline to duplicate all that has been written about FTP.

FTP has been here on the internet since about 1971.
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc114

You can imagine that any question about FTP has an answer.
Bob

- Collapse -
You could run an FTP server from your Mac
Aug 19, 2008 12:30AM PDT

Worth a Google

P

- Collapse -
have you tried
Aug 28, 2008 10:56PM PDT

UsendIt.com?

- Collapse -
Send Big Files with MongoFiles.com.. Up to 5 gig files !
Aug 31, 2008 1:28AM PDT

Hey guys,

I found MongoFiles.com for sending up to 5 gig huge BIG files. So all those Home Movies, DVD's and Home Photo rolls of 1-5 gigabyte size are NO problem anymore !

Send your Huge files, through MongoFiles. Its simply amazing !

Try it !

- Collapse -
Move Large Files on Web !
Dec 8, 2009 12:43AM PST

At www.sendeazy.com we have developed an application sendeazy exactly keeping the enduser requirements almost like you are asking.
Easy & Quick Installation, Easy to use: Simply "Drag and Drop", or just use Right Click & "Send To" option. you can Transfer Big files or Folders using www.sendeazy.com.
Your files are encrypted, well secured in our servers. You also can protect them using a password. Demo Vedios available in the site for easy understanding. Works on Linux, Windows, Mac os. If you try once, you will love it. Limited Free edition is available. Free edition .. with limited features. You may Subscribe for full features. www.sendeazy.com

- Collapse -
sending large files cross-operating system,no install needed
Jun 20, 2010 8:19AM PDT

Hi,

maybe this one is helpful:

http://www.click2copy.com

- no client install is needed
- simply use your browser for sending files, thus works on every operating system
- unlimited file size
- it's free
- it does not store your file on any server, it transmits it directly to the receiver

CNET Forums

Forum Info