Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

How to move folder I created on desktop, to folder in Mydocs

[MS WinXP Home SP2; OE 6; IE 6; Dell Dimension XPS T450MHz Pentium III; 385MB RAM; AVG Free Version 8.0.175 270.8.4/1754; spybot S&D; ad-aware2008; cable modem; WordPerfect8; Lexmark Laser printer "Optra E310"; Windows Media Player.]

Hello, I saw a very similar problem here (but only for Win95/98):

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6618_102-0.html?forumID=6&threadID=259701&messageID=2558852

...and hope someone could help me too? I created 5 backup folders on my desktop. Now I wanted to move all of them into one folder I just created in MyDocuments named "BACKUPS". I tried to do it by dragging and dropping but didn't work, so I had to cut and paste and...when I opened the folders I had moved, a popup message said "File no longer in existence"!

Anyone knows what I did wrong? And what would be the proper way to move folders from the desktop to a folder within MyDocuments?

I don't mind having lost these folders as they were backed up files and I can back up again, but I need to know how to do it. Happy Thanks so much for any help you can grant me. Happy Adela

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to move folder I created on desktop, to folder in Mydocs
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to move folder I created on desktop, to folder in Mydocs
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
reply to: How to move folder I created on desktop, to folder

In reply to: How to move folder I created on desktop, to folder in Mydocs

Dragging and dropping should have worked.
Right click on the Start button in the lower left corner of the Desktop then left click on Properties. Click on Customize > Advanced tab. Scroll down to and place a check mark beside Enable Dragging and dropping. Then click on OK > Apply > OK. Now dragging and dropping should be working.

A convenient option that I frequently use to move files around is Context Magic, and the price can't be beat.

Charlie

Collapse -
How to move folder I created on desktop, to folder

In reply to: reply to: How to move folder I created on desktop, to folder

Oh thanks so much caktus, I enabled dragging and dropping and I'm sure things will be much easier now. As to installing another program...not sure that my memory can afford it. Happy

But I'm keeping the useful suggestions you gave me.

Thanks again! Adela

Collapse -
And something I forgot.........

In reply to: How to move folder I created on desktop, to folder in Mydocs

While holding down the Ctrl key you can select, drag and drop multiple folders/files at the same time. This also works with free version of Context Magic.

Charlie

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.