Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

How to make my Network Drive accessable over the WWW.

by technomanstrand / December 19, 2007 3:44 AM PST

So, I recently purchased a Lacie 1TB Network Drive (1TB ENET DISK GIGABI COMBHD EXT) and am trying to set it up over the world wide web to work both on the HTTP side and FTP Side? Any suggestions?

Below is a describtion of my test trials:

As it states as a network drive it all works over the network, but trying to make it work outside of my network, and over the world wide web, Im having issues.

I currently have Comcast, hooked up to my Dlink (DIR-625) wireless router, where my Lacie Network drive is then connected. I have the Dlink port forwarding 20, 21, 80, and 81, which is forwarding http and ftp capabilities. By typing in the External IP I am able to get the main screen to show up, allowing me to make administrative changes to the drive, look at the HTTP part of everything, but not the FTP part of things.

When I put my cursor over the HTTP, it shows the address that it is going to send me to, as the external IP address which is correct. However, when I put the cursor over the FTP part of things, it shows me the address as the internal or private IP address. (I have tried typing in the external IP, but it dosent work either) So, I was suggested that it may be a hold Port hold on the Comcast side of things. However, I have a subspition, that when I put my cursor over the FTP side, the internal address is shown, therefore making me believe communication is going out, just not correctly?... I NEED HELP! Any Ideas? Any Suggestions?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to make my Network Drive accessable over the WWW.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to make my Network Drive accessable over the WWW.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) Open DMZ on that router port?
by Coryphaeus / December 19, 2007 6:52 AM PST
Collapse -
Tried that didnt work...?
by technomanstrand / December 19, 2007 2:49 PM PST

I have did some more research and found that if i hook up the server straight to the internet elieviating the router everything works ok! So I have been able to point down to the router. I have tried the DMZ and still caint get the FTP part to not work... Im confused? Any ideas with that?
Any questions to help?

Collapse -
This might help
by Dango517 / December 19, 2007 3:08 PM PST
Collapse -
Note: If you're asking for technical help,
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 19, 2007 11:29 PM PST

You elected not to share all the details. So I can't check to see if your modem, router, etc might have an issue. I think using the DMZ should work but what if I found out your router with version 1.2 Firmware had a bug that DMZ was not enabled?

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?