Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

How to make link

by Amos16 / February 13, 2006 2:52 AM PST

Hi - how do you create a link in the text of an e-mail message, something that someone else clicks on and get to the URL? Using IE6. Thanks - Amos.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to make link
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to make link
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
links
by byker49 / February 13, 2006 4:23 AM PST
In reply to: How to make link

In your e-mail client most have an insert feature on the toolbar. Click on insert ,then hyperlink.

Collapse -
Or just try using HTML coding...
by John.Wilkinson / February 13, 2006 5:30 AM PST
In reply to: links

Usually you can simply use HTML coding in your e-mail and have it recognized when it reaches the sender. For instance:

<a href=''http://www.cnet.com''>Click here to go to Cnet's website!</a>

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
Links
by Amos16 / February 13, 2006 8:14 PM PST

Hi John - Tried three times sending myself HTML-encrypted messages, one of them an exact copy of your Cnet address, the others different addresses. I sent them from my Yahoo account to my Hotmail account, and all of them arrived as plain text, that is not as links but exactly as sent. Not is there an "insert" option in my tools menu as suggested by byker49. Is there a possibility of having Yahoo do what Outlook Express did for me in the past (I stopped using it, explained why in my post in reply to Kees Bakker)? Or another way? Grateful for your input - Amos.

Collapse -
With Yahoo!...
by John.Wilkinson / February 14, 2006 2:41 AM PST
In reply to: Links

A lot of the standard free web-based e-mail providers don't enable standard HTML coding. (I'm not sure if it's for security reasons, the extra work involved in enabling such, or to get you to upgrade for added functionality.) However, hyperlinking is usually still an option. In Yahoo's case, you can highlight a word, then click the menu item that liiks like a blue globe with a link of a chain under it. In the window that pops up enter the URL and press OK to create the link.

On the thought of hyperlinking, if you use Firefox I'd like to recommend the extension Linkification, which turns plain text URLs into clickable links. For instance, in these forums, you must add http:// in order for Jive to recognize it as a URL. However, a lot of people simply write www.cnet.com. You then either have to type it out or copy and paste it into the address bar of a new window/tab. With Linkification, www.cnet.com will be recognized as a website and made into a clickable link. You can also turn that feature off for security reasons at any time. (If you enable prefetching, Firefox will load websites from the links automatically in the background so if/when you go to one it's faster to load. Of course, if the link is malicious you don't want this.) It appears I'm going off again, so I'm just going to stop writing. Happy

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
Mousearoma
by Amos16 / February 14, 2006 5:24 PM PST
In reply to: With Yahoo!...

John - sorry, no ball and chain on my Yahoo toolbar - version 6.2.4.0. There is a highlighter but no box opens when I click it. Is your toolbar different, perhaps the new beta version that I have not installed ? Tx - Amos

Collapse -
Wrong toolbar...
by John.Wilkinson / February 14, 2006 9:53 PM PST
In reply to: Mousearoma

For screenshots, click here (IE) and click here (Firefox). The screenshots are both of the current Yahoo mail system (the version using Ajax is still in the testing stages). On the toolbar just above the area where you enter the body of your message is the toolbar (not to be confused with the Yahoo Toolbar, which is a browser plugin that provides search and pop-up blocking features). 2/3 of the way across, to the right of the yellow smily face, is the hyperlink option, the globe with a chain link under it.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
Where is it
by Amos16 / February 13, 2006 11:01 PM PST
In reply to: links

Hi - I use Yahoo mail and cannot find an Insert menu. Their Help department says what can be done with the Insert menu (including turning it into a link) but it does not say where and how it can be found. I phrased the question in half a dozen different ways, but there still was no reply to its substance. Can you point me to it? Tx. Amos.

Collapse -
Re: link in email message
by Kees Bakker / February 13, 2006 5:39 AM PST
In reply to: How to make link

Amos,

It's not relevant at all what browser you use. It's fully a feature of your email-program.

I'm using Outlook Express 5.5 here, and both in Format>Rich text (html) and in Format>Plain text mode it transforms http://reviews.cnet.com and www.cnet.com fully automatically in a hyperlink that functions at the receiver. Send a mail to yourself to check. In fact, I can't find an option to turn this feature off. And I find it amazing that it works in plain text mode. After all, plain text is supposed to be plain text.

What email program do you use? Maybe hotmail or gmail or yahoo in IE or Firefox? That's quite different, and I can't help you with that. But it could be that some webmail services have software, like this forum, that transforms anything starting with http: into a link if they process your message. I don't use any of those, so I really can't tell. Maybe someone else will, if you provide the info.

Kees

Collapse -
Links
by Amos16 / February 13, 2006 6:56 PM PST

Kees thanks - yes I do use Yahoo mail. I did use Outlook Express before that and it did the conversion automatically. However it started cutting off long messages, and after receiving advice (from Bob Profitt and others) that meant changing some of the basic setting in the computer I decided that it was simpler to switch to Yahoo. Never had any trouble there, but it bugs me that even when I write the link into a Word message and then copy it - the color goes and so does the underlining. Shall try John's advice and see how it works, then report back. Amos.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?