Audio & Video Software forum

Resolved Question

How to make an MP3 playlist in Media Player 12

by GaGunner / September 24, 2013 3:24 AM PDT

I have Windows 7 with Media Player 12. When I make a playlist, Media Player 12 will only create it in the WPL format. Media Player 11 would allow me to create playlists in the MP3 format. Does anyone know how to change Media Player 12 to create the playlist in MP3 format? All my music is in the MP3 format and it is what I know. I am not very computer bright and I need simple step by step instructions. Thanks in advance for any help.

GaGunner has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to make an MP3 playlist in Media Player 12
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to make an MP3 playlist in Media Player 12
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
I can't find that feature in MP3.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 24, 2013 3:35 AM PDT
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mp3 covers a lot of deep detail about MP3s but nowhere do I see how a MP3 can be a playlist.

I'm thinking you are confusing the MP3 with playlists in some odd way.
Bob
Collapse -
by GaGunner / September 25, 2013 10:31 AM PDT

Maybe I am confusing the technical term for a playlist with what I want. However, as I said, I was able to get my Media Player 11 to save a list of songs that I created using the Media Player playlist function as mp3s. That is all I want with the Media Player 12.

Collapse -
So let's get this straight.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 25, 2013 10:35 AM PDT

Since we can't force a playlist into a MP3 you are OK with any PlayList? Here WMP does playlists and I can add any title be it MP3 or other to the playlist.

Maybe you have some other thing that needs the playlist in some specific format such as a MP3 player. But you didn't tell about that.
Bob

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by GaGunner

Collapse -
Have you tried
by Ed Mead Forum moderator / September 24, 2013 9:41 PM PDT

changing format from or save as from .wpl to .m3u

Collapse -
I just ripped a cd to mp3 with a .m3u file for a playlist
by Ed Mead Forum moderator / September 24, 2013 10:19 PM PDT
In reply to: Have you tried

which should work with supporting devices. It looks like this.

File name is,

Simon and Garfunkel - Bridge Over Troubled Water (40th Anniversary Edition).m3u

Opened with notepad it looks like this, (right click file, open with, notepad)

01 - Bridge Over Troubled Water.mp3
02 - El Condor Pasa (If I Could).mp3
03 - Cecilia.mp3
04 - Keep The Customer Satisfied.mp3
05 - So Long, Frank Lloyd Wright.mp3
06 - The Boxer.mp3
07 - Baby Driver.mp3
08 - The Only Living Boy In New York.mp3
09 - Why Don't You Write Me.mp3
10 - Bye Bye Love.mp3
11 - Song For The Asking.mp3

I also use cue files (playlist file), but I don't think that is what your after.

Collapse -
by GaGunner / September 25, 2013 10:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Have you tried

How would you do this? I think this is what I want. When I save the playlist I want it to be in a MP3 or m3u format.

Collapse -
Changing from mpl to m3u
by Ed Mead Forum moderator / September 25, 2013 12:23 PM PDT

I found these 2 "How to's"on the net, because I don't use WMP 12 or any other WMP. Hope 1 of them helps you.

(1) To create a regular playlist

Click the Library tab. If you need to clear the List pane before beginning to create your playlist, click the Clear List pane button Picture of the Clear List pane button.

Drag items from the Details pane to the List pane to add them to the new playlist.

To select multiple adjacent items, press and hold the SHIFT key while selecting. To select nonadjacent items, press and hold the CTRL key while selecting.

To rearrange items, drag them up or down in the List pane.

To save the list, click Save Playlist at the bottom of the List pane, and then type a name for the playlist.

By default, playlists are saved with a .wpl extension in the Playlists folder, which is usually located in the Music folder. You can also save playlists with the .m3u or .asx extension. To do so, click the List button at the top of the List pane, click Save Playlist As, and then change the extension in the Save As dialog box. Once you save the playlist, it's added to the Playlists category in the library.
To play the playlist in the List pane, click the Play button Picture of the Play button.

To access the playlist in the future, click the Playlists view in the Navigation pane.

(2) For m3u files.
Sync music to flash drive as above.
First create a m3u playlist from your wpl playlist in WMP. Open the playlist and double click on the playlist. Go to File and select "Save Now Playing List as." Save as m3u file. I normally modify the name to identify it in WMP from the wpl playlist.
Follow the above instructions to open the playlist file, but of course look for the m3u file.
This is what the path looks like on the Desktop playlist.
..\Various Artists\Home For Christmas\03 Hey Santa Claus.mp3
Again replace the two dots with "Music" or whatever your path is for the flash drive.
This is what the looks like on the flash drive.
Music\Various Artists\Home For Christmas\03 Hey Santa Claus.mp3
Do a "save as" on to the flash drive Playlist Folder.
That should do it.
Sometimes the iDrive is a bit slow on the uptake. But you should find you're playlist under iDrive "Playlist".

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.