PC Applications forum

General discussion

How to make Acrobat Reader default over Abode Acrobat

I installed Abode Acrobat 6.0 Standard software and now it makes itself the default to open up all PDF documents I click on when I'm browsing the web. I prefer that Acrobat Reader 7.0 open my PDF documents because Abode Acrobat 6.0 takes too long to start up.

I tried to change the association by saving a PDF document to my hard drive, right clicking it, and choosing Acrobat Reader to open it up, at the same time clicking "Always use the selected program" to open up PDF documents. After that, Acrobat Reader 7.0 opens up the PDF documents I have saved on my hard drive, but Abode Acrobat 6.0 still opens up PDF documents from the web.When I try to right click a PDF document on the web to change the association, the option to "open with" does not appear. I'd appreciate any help to solve this problem.

I have Windows XP Professional and use Internet Explorer as my browser.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to make Acrobat Reader default over Abode Acrobat
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to make Acrobat Reader default over Abode Acrobat
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
RE

In reply to: How to make Acrobat Reader default over Abode Acrobat

Right click on any PDF documents, select Properties, on the General tab, find "Open With," there's the default program name next to it, as well as the button "Change." Click on Change and pick the right program from the list.

Collapse -
Re: Adobe

Totaldrummer,

I can't check it here, but there's a good chance the installation of Acrobat updated the BHO (browser helper object) that Reader installed. Reader usually is integrated with IE, so that the file from the web is opened in a browser window, not in separate window.

My first suggestion would be to reinstall Reader to see if it reclaims its position.
Else install Firefox (www.mozilla.org) to see what that does. By default, it doesn't have this integration with Reader, I think (although it might get it with an add-on, not sure on that), so it will use the standard Windows file association. There's no need to keep Firefox as your preferred browser (although you might do so), it's just meant to see what happens.

Kees

Collapse -
Thanks- it worked

Thanks for the advice. I uninstalled and re-installed Reader. During installation, it gave me a choice of using Reader or Acrobat as default to open PDF documents, and I chose Reader. This solves my problem. Thanks again!

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) You're welcome.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.