Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

How To Make A Screenshot WinXP?

by Lyn Layton / September 17, 2004 5:45 AM PDT

WinXP Home SP2
Office XP SP3/MS Paint

I have tried Prnt Scrn>Open Paint>Edit. The "Paste" option is greyed out. ("Paste From" is the only option available.) I tried pasting into Paint using Ctrl+V. That will not work either. What am I missing for making a screenshot in XP? Thank you for any suggestions.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How To Make A Screenshot WinXP?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How To Make A Screenshot WinXP?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: How To Make A Screenshot WinXP?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 17, 2004 5:59 AM PDT

1. Did you tap PRINTSCREEN or ALT+PRINTSCREEN prior to the Paste?

2. If you did, it's time to go hunting for TROJAN KEYBOARD LOGGERS since some interfere with this and it's the ALARM BELL that sends me off to run Adaware, Spybot, Stinger and Houscall.

Bob

Collapse -
by Lyn Layton / September 17, 2004 7:48 AM PDT

1. Yes.
2. You're preaching to the choir.

Collapse -
by ptgoodwi / September 24, 2004 12:07 PM PDT

I have XP and one method I use is I do use th Print Scrn key and with WORD open I Alt-v and this copies the enitre screen print to Word.

So I would ask if this functions for you and if not then I would assume it is a virus-trojan.

Collapse -
by Kees Bakker / September 17, 2004 7:24 AM PDT

With some keyboards it's shift-print screen (for the whole screen) or shift-alt-print screen (for the active window).

Kees

Collapse -
by Lyn Layton / September 17, 2004 7:56 AM PDT

No change noted when adding Shift key.

This is a Dell laptop if it makes any difference.
I have never been able to make a screenshot with this particular machine, so I installed Irfanview a few months ago. I would like to force Microsoft to do it. Any other magical things to try?

Collapse -
by ChuckT / September 17, 2004 8:53 AM PDT

Some keyboards have an "F Lock" (for Function) key.
I have had two of the latest MS keyboards and also a couple of oddball specialty keyboards with these special function keys on the F1 to F12 keys and the PrtScn & Pause-Break keys. It is sort of an alternate function of those keys, like to open Word, start Spellcheck, etc.

So many times the usual, or typical, actions of those keys are something OTHER than what you expect.
For example my PrtScn key is not PrtScn at all until I press that darn "F lock" key.

So, if you look around your keyboard and notice an oddball key labeled "F" or "F Lock" or something like that, then press that key (you do not need to, nor want to, hold it in) and then try your PrtScn key and then try to paste into your graphics program (IrfanView, by the way is TERRIFIC).

Maybe that will work. Good luck.

Collapse -
by Lyn Layton / September 17, 2004 10:32 AM PDT

The only thing close is the Fn key. That doesn't help.

Collapse -
by Rabbit20164 / September 24, 2004 12:00 AM PDT

Try using ScreenPrint32 (v 3.5)..available for free on ..guess what!...a thing called Cnet.com . (Full title is "Screenprint and Capture"..2.68 Mb.. i'm using a Dell too..had same problem.. works for me.. i save to my flash drive & take it home..put on CD at home every once in a while..CU..

Rab

Collapse -
screenshot
by radars_01 / April 28, 2006 1:39 PM PDT

Hi ChuckT,
I had the same problem as Lynn. After reading your reply to Lynn, I found the "fn" button on my keyboard, and pressed fn, shift & prt sc together. It works. Thanks.

Collapse -
Thanks!
by AnitaPuksic / January 29, 2014 4:09 AM PST

It's 2014 and I'm still using xp. And now I can finally take screenshots thanks to you!
That frigging F-Lock.

Collapse -
AHHchoo. Dell keyboard enchanters?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 17, 2004 9:29 AM PDT

Is there any Dell keyboard enhancement software or LOGITECH drivers in this machine?

Bob

Collapse -
Re: AHHchoo. Dell keyboard enchanters?
by Lyn Layton / September 17, 2004 10:26 AM PDT

No.

By the way, Gadwin works and Irfanview works. It's just MSPaint that won't. This is discouraging.

Collapse -
Did you know this?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 17, 2004 10:38 AM PDT

When posting, it would be nice if you shared that upfront. I mistakenly read that paste didn't work at all and... didn't look for specific issues with the MSPAINT paste.

Such clues are best shared.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Did you know this?
by Lyn Layton / September 17, 2004 12:16 PM PDT
In reply to: Did you know this?

No, I did not know that up front. It is not my machine.
My opportunity to figure this out has been extremely limited, and at the time of my first post I did not have a chance to haul out the instructions for using Gadwin or Irfanview -- neither of which I use on my own machine. This had to be accomplished within a certain time frame which was somewhat shortened by having a tornado pass over the house.

Collapse -
Re: Did you know this?
by wintonwoods / September 24, 2004 12:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Did you know this?

There is no need to explain your post. It was clear enough for most all of us to understand. Bob is way offbase with his snide comment.

woody

Collapse -
For woody,.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 24, 2004 12:29 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Did you know this?

Please press the Report Offensive Post if you want.

Sometimes I have to be blunt to pull items out into discussion.

GADWIN is neat stuff, but having multiple keyboard handlers can create problems for some setups. Also, if one doesn't share all the details, I may note such.

Hope to see that report.

Bob

Collapse -
Gadwin.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 17, 2004 10:46 AM PDT

AFAIK, you've revealed the cause of your issue.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Gadwin.
by Lyn Layton / September 17, 2004 12:36 PM PDT
In reply to: Gadwin.

ATWB?
No, they don't share a Hotkey. I already asked that one.
It's on its way back to the owner, so I won't need to worry about it for another six months when I will get it back for cleaning again. Perhaps I will have more time to investigate and experiment then.
Thank you for your input, though.

Collapse -
AWKFUL.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 17, 2004 10:58 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: Gadwin.

I reread the posts and maybe I missed it again, but I didn't see that it wasn't your machine. Sorry about that.

Gadwin is some printscreen tool and as such can interfere with printscreen operations. Such was noted in google group discussions.

One of today's banes is that people are loading up machines with many tools and ... breaking them.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Gadwin.
by TJL1962 / September 24, 2004 1:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Gadwin.

I searched the Internet and could only find that ATWB = "Anacortes Telescope & Wild Bird" web site.

My two questions:
1. What does ATWB mean?
2. WDPUA?*

Aren't computers difficult enough without everyone trying to abbreviate everything? How hard is it to type the words? Go back to High School and take a typing class.

Thx. <--- Meant as sarcasm.

*Why Do People Use Acronyms

Collapse -
by jerrymullen / September 24, 2004 12:06 AM PDT

Lyn,
How does irfanview work with screenshot? I have the free version.
jm

Collapse -
Re: How does irfanview work with screenshot?
by ChuckT / September 24, 2004 7:58 AM PDT

Since IrfanView has its own screen capture functions you don't need another screenshot program.

In IrfanView just press the "C" key (or command Options, Capture/Screenshot)

There you will find that you can either hotkey or automatically capture to the viewer, or to a file in any of 18 formats.

It will capture either the whole screen or the active window, or even just the client window (active portion of the active window) with or without the cursor.

It is a good tool.

Collapse -
by tiggerw / September 24, 2004 5:32 AM PDT

I give up....what is infanview, or whatever

Collapse -
Re: what is infanview
by ChuckT / September 24, 2004 8:12 AM PDT
IrfanView is a free graphic viewer/manipulator/converter/slideshow creator and more.

It is very fast and small. It will fit on a floppy (about 500k) and does not require to be installed to run, you can just run the i_view32.exe (inside the installation files if you want to pull it out) and it will function just fine.

It can open about 40 different graphic formats and save in about 18 of them, so it is great to be used as a converter.

You can use it to do some minor graphic manipulations (rotations, resizing, changing color depths, adding text, changing brightness and contrast, etc) and while you could do all these things (and more) on a single picture you could also do the same tasks via the built-in batch functions to act on many pictures, easily.

You can use it to create slide shows or screensavers that do not require IrfanView to run at all. that means you could send prepackaged slideshows to your friends.

There are a few more things it can do also, but I think you may have a good idea of what IrfanView is now.

Did I mention it is free? and there are no nag screens inside, or any hidden spyware.
Collapse -
Mac version for infanview
by albertregis / July 2, 2005 12:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: what is infanview

could some one please tell me if threr is a version for MAC

Collapse -
infanview
by albertregis / July 2, 2005 12:45 AM PDT

it is a free view that is a very good. and i have just gone over to MAC
and i would like to know if anyone out there knows of a MAC version

Collapse -
by No_name / September 25, 2004 5:02 AM PDT

To make a screenshot of WinXP desktop press "PRINT SCREEN" on your keyboard. Then open paint and click edit->paste and that is it. You can save your pictrue by clicking file->save as.

Collapse -
by dragon8856 / September 23, 2004 6:17 PM PDT

Screen shots are not built into Windows operating systems by default. There are several screen capture utilities that are free and available on the internet. Very possibly some on CNET Downloads. Only two graphical user interface operating systems have the print screen built into the operating system. That's Unix and Linux. There was a utility called Print Screen that was free and utilized the print screen key on the keyboard. I use it at work to make short pics of Oracle Database data when I don't want to print out a long report. I've had it on my computer for several years, so I'm not sure if it's still available. It works under Windows 95, 98, 98SE, NT, 2000, and my work system, XP.

Collapse -
by Larry-wichita / September 23, 2004 9:52 PM PDT

The program you are refering to is Print Screen Deluxe by American Systems and is currently available thru Broderbund. I have used it for years. Set it up to run in background at boot time. Just set it and forget it. The current version is 5.0b

Collapse -
by amandasdad / September 23, 2004 10:49 PM PDT

I finally got tired of fist-fighting with XP, trying to make it do what it is "supposed" to do. Thats a losing battle on many fronts. Gadwin Print Screen is the best and most intutitive program I have used for screen capture and print screen in windows. It is free for non commercial use.

http://www.gadwin.com/printscreen/

Ken
Austin, Tx

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?