HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

how to load programs dual boot

by jim2 / November 21, 2005 6:53 PM PST

I have dual boot sys. win xp pro and xp pro 64 bit. Can I load the programs to the "C" drive to save space or does XP64 require they be loaded into the X86 folder.
IE: load them in to the same folder as those loaded into XP Pro. that is how I did it with win 98 and XP pro.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: how to load programs dual boot
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: how to load programs dual boot
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Have to be installed in both
by thought_stazi / November 21, 2005 9:29 PM PST

Virtually all Windows programs require registry modifications and the placement of key files into the system path. It's not nearly as flexible as Unix, by design.

Collapse -
Have to be installed in both
by jim2 / November 21, 2005 11:34 PM PST

I know i have to install in both but can the folder be the same? I could use the same when I did it with 98 and XP. but XP 64 bit seams to install in a program folder called X86

Collapse -
Unlikely. For example.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 21, 2005 11:41 PM PST

I have this analysis program that installs one .EXE for 64-bit and another for 32-bit. Even if the directory was the same, I would not get the better .EXE for each OS.

There are no plans to fix this.

Bob

Collapse -
Unlikely. For example.
by jim2 / November 22, 2005 12:23 AM PST
In reply to: Unlikely. For example.

I am looking to reduce the space taken up on the hard drive but it looks like that cant be done with XP64 bit as it loads into x86 program folder and xp pro loads into programs doesnt matter which drive it is loaded on. for example i loaded office in XP pro and it loaded in to c:\programs and when i loaded it in XP 64 and changed the location that it should be loaded in to c it loaded to c:\x86 programs and also loads into the drive that XP 64 is loaded on.

Collapse -
Oh, Office. Wish you had noted that sooner.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 22, 2005 12:27 AM PST
In reply to: Unlikely. For example.

Office, for years has had such a complaint. But first there are no plans to change it.

-> In short, the SHARED COMPONENTS of Microsoft Office are always installed to the Windows OS drive that is active at the time. There is some control over other pieces such as Winword.exe and such but I think I've heard (read) this complaint for over 10 years now.

Do a little more research and you'll find this old complaint and what you can do about it.

Cheers,

bob

PS. If you noted Office and I missed it, sorry.

Collapse -
Oh, Office. Wish you had noted that sooner
by jim2 / November 22, 2005 12:38 AM PST

I understand what you are saying but with xp and older i was able to put most of the program files in one place as it is now i have in the program folder under MS Office the size is 249MB 2852 file and 47 folders. In the X86 program folder for MS Office has 242MB 2842 files and 44 folders. I was hoping there was a way to prevent this big of a dup. of files

Collapse -
Be sure to do your research.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 22, 2005 12:45 AM PST

But in today's multigigabyte drives this is only a blip of drive space. In fact, let's cost this out?

-> I can get a 300GB drive for 99 bucks.
-> I can get a 250GB SATA drive for 89 bucks.

That's about 25 cents of drive space.

Seems cheap and not worth fretting over.

Cheers,

Bob

Collapse -
Be sure to do your research.
by jim2 / November 22, 2005 1:01 AM PST

thanks for your help Bob. I think I found ot why Iwas having a problem to thick betwen the earsi guess when I changed the location I only changed the drive not the folder didn't notice the x86 behind the folder name. just loaded a program and changed the folder also and it worked. just wish the drivers were up to date so I could drop the xp pro and just use xp 64

this asus a8n-e with amd3800x2 is great
Jim

Collapse -
I'm thinking '06.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 22, 2005 1:36 AM PST

While I'm getting some 64-bit payoff, it's only on a few places such as video work and now tinkering with the 64-bit MySQL.

Maybe next year.

Cheers and glad you tried the install one more time.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.