Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

How to limit spam?

by Bobbolink / September 15, 2004 7:16 AM PDT

Most days we receive hundreds of email messages of no interest. Short of opening each one and requesting removal from the sender's mailing list, how can we limit unwanted messages?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to limit spam?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to limit spam?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: How to limit spam?
by glb613 / September 15, 2004 7:23 AM PDT
In reply to: How to limit spam?

There are programs out there to filter your e-mail that have various rates of success. I guess I'm lucky. I use Outlook Express and I don't get spam. The spam filter with my ISP must be very good. Try doing a google search for spam/e-mail filters. I'm sure others will provide names of what they use to combat this very annoying problem.

Collapse -
by faavn5 / November 4, 2004 10:52 PM PST
In reply to: Re: How to limit spam?

There are a remarkable amount of suggestions to this problem. All are valid. All take time and fiddeling with this and that.

When you get that much spam and you have every filter cranked up to "I don't want anthing", it's time to take the ultimate action: Change EMAIL user name. They have your number you have to change it so they can't find you.

You retain your ISP. Change your user name and make this become your private acccount. You only give this account to your friends and relatives.

Open another email account with, say, yahoo, et al. This becomes your commercial account. Anytime you are required to give an email address to a business you give them the "commercial" account. The commercial account is wonderful for going to it and just deleting the whole shebang.

If you susurf wildly, you should consider surfing anonymously. There is a programme that will let you do that.

Collapse -
NEVER OPEN SPAM! NEVER PREVIEW SPAM!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 15, 2004 7:32 AM PDT

To do either is to invite disaster. Time to switch email addresses and never hand out the address except to that one person that needs it.

But such has been discussed in these forums before. It's possible you didn't search the forums for this issue.

Bob

Collapse -
Easy as one...two...three
by LarryD / September 15, 2004 11:20 AM PDT

You can't win! Once you are on a junk list, forget about it!
Try these three EASY steps!
1. Create a new address (they're free!) either at your ISP or at Yahoo for friends and family. Create a separate address for subscriptions, online purchases, etc.
2. Tell your trusted friends and family your new address. Do not tell you address to anyone who either forwards twenty jokes per day or shows your address along with everyone else in their book. Let me repeat this, do not tell your new address to anyone who isn't respectful of the privacy of your address.
3. Log on and enjoy spam-free e-mail.

It is easier to switch than fight a losing battle!

Collapse -
Re: Easy as one...two...three
by Bobbolink / September 16, 2004 6:41 AM PDT

Thx very much. It's a hassle to reprint letterheads, etc., but undoubtedly worth it. Bobbobolink

Collapse -
Re: Easy as one...two...three
by jercro / October 23, 2004 2:18 AM PDT

And it only works for about 30 minutes. I've set up new email address and as soon as I open OE it has spam coming in. (that was on Cox.net)
Try using Outlook 2004 from MS Office. The built in spam filter is great. One of the best I've used. Also Mac.com uses a good spam filter. If you don't mind signing up with Apple.com.

Collapse -
by j.rudnick / September 16, 2004 2:15 AM PDT

I have Norton AntiSpam which works great. It reroutes spam into a seperate folder and allows you to eliminate the messages without having to request removal.

Collapse -
by Sovereign Forum moderator / September 16, 2004 6:57 AM PDT
Collapse -
by http://www.doc-rocks-dungeon.com / September 16, 2004 7:01 AM PDT

Very sound advice...never open unknown e-mail. As for blocking it, one of the best filters I have come across is opening an account at http:www.cashette.com
Through your account there, you can combine and access up to three other e-mail, pop3 server accounts all through the one account and automaically block out all spam. The reason this works is simple; you set a price and charge spammers. The result is, of course, that these spammers aren't ever going to pay you for receiving an e-mail. Just a thought.

Collapse -
by MIpapaof4 / October 22, 2004 6:56 AM PDT

Get a spam and pop up blocker. Norton has a good one. I have it installed and have never had any trouble with it. Trust Norton to the right thing.

Collapse -
by eliz6beth / October 22, 2004 9:51 PM PDT

I have the same problem with spam but use Mailwasher - its free.
Liz

Collapse -
by seesea / November 3, 2004 10:48 AM PST

It's been a while since you asked for help on spam. One thing that I did not see was to inform you that when you request to be removed, you will most likely get more spam as they will only get to you under a different name. Never respond to spam in any way.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!