HolidayBuyer's Guide

Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

how to know if my REAL IP address shows

by novicestill / November 22, 2005 2:11 AM PST

when i go to http://www.grc.com for a scan for the lst 1059 ports, it showed stealth. Does that mean that my real IP address is not shown when i surf the net. Therefore, very difficult for hackers to plant keylogger, spyware etc or can they do it at all?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: how to know if my REAL IP address shows
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: how to know if my REAL IP address shows
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
About IP hiding. How???
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 22, 2005 2:36 AM PST

How would a web site send you a page if you didn't tell it the address to send it to?

Bob

Collapse -
As far as I know
by geona / November 22, 2005 4:59 AM PST

the only way to hide your IP address is to connect to the internet with a proxy, such as TOR. This way your page requests are relayed through a network and the IP address sites read on the other side is a (random?) one assigned by the proxy, which then relays the page back through the network to you. GRC shows your real IP but if you're behind a proxy it shows an IP that isn't yours. But I THINK proxies are more for privacy than security, so you still need a firewall, which stealths your ports. In fact, a proxy will require at least some of your ports to not be stealth in order to work properly. This is my non-expert understanding.
Geona

Collapse -
False sense of security. Here's why.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 22, 2005 5:52 AM PST
In reply to: As far as I know

Your ISP still knows your IP address and can log packets.

It's amazing to me that people will pay for anything that may make them feel secure.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.