Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

How To Kill Useless Folders like: Downloaded Program Files

I have quite a number of useless folders (i.e: They
have no files), which I delete and then they re-appear

The folders are:

@ C:\ My Documents (and ofcource: My Pictures)

@ C:\WINDOWS

Nethood

Printhood

PIF

Downloaded Progarm Files (re-appears, only when
surfing the net)

Of all these, Downloaded Program Files is the real piece of cake. Many doggie sites, install files, cookies and God knows, what else though this folder (or atleast leave a foot-print in this folder)

I have tried deleting the enteries in the Registery
(i.e.: Regedit), with no luck.

I Will appreciate, if someone can recommend a antidote
for these poisons, especially the 'Downloaded Program
Files.

I am almost certain that there is an *.EXE file, which
generates these folders (e.g.: at C:\WINDOWS >>

HH.EXE

will create some of these folders). I have deleted
this file on my computer.

Thanks

Frankie-in-Tears (All due to Billie's Bad Boys)

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How To Kill Useless Folders like: Downloaded Program Files
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How To Kill Useless Folders like: Downloaded Program Files
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
well, you may not know...

In reply to: How To Kill Useless Folders like: Downloaded Program Files

XP recreates them also because they are considered "system folders".
no cookies go into "downloaded program files", which is used for Yahoo stuff, shockwave flash, etc. The others aren't always "useless" also, and don't hurt you to remain there. W98 is skippy enough without doing this kind of stuff, learn more before you do it or we'll hear again from you with problems generated.
W98 won't find the My Documents folder and you'll always have to point to a new place to "save in".
Yes, there are some like "my pics", "my music", "my ebooks" (with Adobe), safe to delete.
Finding "zero byte" files and folders to delete is mostly a waste of time and potential trouble.

Collapse -
well now

In reply to: How To Kill Useless Folders like: Downloaded Program Files

These are, as mentioned, "System" folders so deleting them may indeed cause problems temporarily and the next boot wil re-MKDIR them.

But yeah, sometimes large globs of junk may be left there.

Make a batch file (and/or also add this line to AUTOEXEC.BAT) with the following -

ERASE "C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files\*.*"

Note, the quote marks must be included to clue DOS command that a Long-File-Name (more than 8 characters, possibly with embedded spaces or other characters Windows allows but DOS doesn't) is being given. You could figure out the short name (the DIR command will show it - except it won't show "System" or "Hidden" dirs/files without switches -
dir c:*.* /ad /ash /s /p
will list directories in this status. But gets messy, so why bother?

Optionally, do the same for stuff in the "MYxxx" folders, but be careful, what you delete you will often later find you wanted, like pictures.

Collapse -
How To Kill Useless Folders

In reply to: well now

Thanks for the tips

Deleting useless files or folders with a batch file
(AutoExec.Bat or any other custom created) is hardly
a problem with me. I have been using such files for
over 10 years.

The Downloaded Program Files (DOS name: Downlo~1) is
a real monkey. I can delete the files, but can not delete enteries made by the spywares, hijackwares etc.
in the registry. In addition these junkwares, sometimes create files in Windows\System sub-folder
(for exanple: Shockware). So, a better way is
needed to Billy's Babies.

Frankie

Collapse -
do you know regedit?

In reply to: How To Kill Useless Folders

If I know the spyware name, sometimes 3 variations of them, I can search registry and delete the entries.
Yes, a lot is hidden in Clisd entries, but oh well.
Spysweeper, 1 shot free, then $$, finds traces of spies. It found 15 spyware and 42 traces.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.