Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

How to keep IP static

by yellowbug / May 16, 2006 9:09 AM PDT

I have 2 PCs on a Linksys wired ethernet. Both PCs are getting their IPs from DHCP. I want to know how to keep the IPs from changing each time I reboot. I think there is a place where you can set it in Windows. Both PCs have XP Pro.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to keep IP static
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to keep IP static
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Is this what you mean?
by Coryphaeus / May 16, 2006 9:18 AM PDT
In reply to: How to keep IP static

From XP Help:

To configure TCP/IP for static addressing
Open Network Connections.
Right-click the network connection you want to configure, and then click Properties.
On the General tab (for a local area connection) or the Networking tab (all other connections), click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), and then click Properties.
Click Use the following IP address, and do one of the following:
For a local area connection, in IP address, Subnet mask, and Default gateway, type the IP address, subnet mask, and default gateway addresses.
For all other connections, in IP address, type the IP address.
Click Use the following DNS server addresses.
In Preferred DNS server and Alternate DNS server, type the primary and secondary DNS server addresses.
To configure advanced static address settings for a local area connection, click Advanced, and do one or more of the following:
To configure additional IP addresses:
On the IP Settings tab, in IP addresses, click Add.
In TCP/IP Address, type an IP address in IP address and a subnet mask in Subnet mask, and then click Add.
Repeat steps 1 and 2 for each IP address you want to add, and then click OK.
To configure additional default gateways:
On the IP Settings tab, in Default gateways, click Add.
In TCP/IP Gateway Address, type the IP address of the default gateway in Gateway. To manually configure a default metric, clear the Automatic metric check box and type a metric in Metric.
Click Add.
Repeat steps 1 through 3 for each default gateway you want to add, and then click OK.
To configure a custom metric for this connection, on the IP Settings tab, clear the Automatic metric check box, and then type a metric value in Interface metric.

To open Network Connections, click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, and then double-click Network Connections.
You must be logged on to this computer as an administrator to complete this procedure.

Collapse -
Yellowbug, Have You Tried?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / May 16, 2006 9:27 AM PDT
In reply to: How to keep IP static

First, determine the DNS Server, WINS Server, subnet mask, default gateway, IP address, etc. by clicking on Start-Run, type "cmd" (without the quotes), then click on OK. When the command window loads, type "ipconfig /all", then press "Enter". Write down all the data you see.

Now open the Control Panel, double click on the "Network Connections" icon, then RIGHT click on the "Local Area Connection" icon, choose "Properties", then click on the "Internet Protocol TCP/IP" line to highlight it, then click on the "Properties" button. On the 'General' tab, place a dot/tick in the "Use the following IP Address" box, then type the information you got from "ipconfig /all" command. Click on OK.

That should do it although sometimes you may need to also assign the "DNS Server Addresses" in the same tab section. You may also need to fill out the full "Alternate Configuration" tab information but try the easiest first.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
It works!!
by yellowbug / May 16, 2006 9:56 AM PDT

Thanks guys, that's exactly where I needed to go. I filled out all the fields with the info I got from ipconfig, reboot the PCs, and everything worked fine. The IPs didn't change eventhough I reboot the PCs in different order.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?