HolidayBuyer's Guide

Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

How To Internet Shared On Home Networking

by ldr223 / January 30, 2006 2:56 PM PST

Hi, My brother has dsl on his XP computer while I got dial up on my ME computer. He told me that we can shared the same dsl on his computer if I got a router, so I ended up got a router and now he tells me that the router works mine but not his. He told me he follow the direction too. How can we get the router to work and we can both get dsl? The router brand is D-Link item DI-604 Ethernet Router. I put the router back in the box. Too bad I can't take it back if its not the right one because its been too long to take it back. I had this router for at least six months sitting in the box. I had people tell if they can get it too work but I haven't had anybody to fix it yet. I also call the company he gets dsl from they told him he can't do that but I went to they web site and it show it we can share the same dsl. Anybody tell me step by step on what is the problem and tell me what to do it will be helpful and plus I'm going to try to hook this up this time.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How To Internet Shared On Home Networking
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How To Internet Shared On Home Networking
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Search this forum nd read them.. but for
by Melati Hitam / January 30, 2006 7:03 PM PST

the basic step you can do now:

DSL Modem -> Router --> PC's

Disconnect the PC from the DSL Modem, and turn off the modem...

Connect the Router (WAN port) to the DSL Modem.

And connect the PC's to the router.

NOTE: After you connect everything, it is Important to turn ON the DSL MODEM... wait (until the light stabilize), then Turn on your Router ... wait... (also until the DSL modem light steady), then turn on your PC's.

The order is important, DSL Modem, Router then PC.

Note: Look into your network setting/configuration, make sure they are all have internet protocol (TCP/IP) to obtain IP address automatically.

And don't forget to Update the Router Firmware... (This is also very important)

Collapse -
Well, if you don't understand my post above..
by Melati Hitam / January 31, 2006 5:38 PM PST

I can not say something more simpler than that.

But let me try...

Do you know, which one is the DSL Modem?...
Yours may only have two connection, one for DSL line, and the other is for Network cable (usually called RJ45) + obviously, you also have a Power cord hole in it.

You plug in your phone line to the smaller hole, and plug in the Network cable (RJ45) to the bigger hole, and plug in the other end to the router.

Now, do you know anything about the router, that you said you already have it?

Look at it... you may have 4 hole (the bigger one) on it. Plug in the (from the DSL modem) to one of them.

Now you will see there are 3 more empty hole in your router.. Plug in another Network cable (RJ45) to your PC and to your brother PC.

After that you need to update your router firmware.

Remember the Order of Powering the devices...
1. Turn on the DSL Modem (Wait until all the light have stabilized..)

2. Turn on the Router (Wait until all the light have stabilized...)

3. Turn on the PC

If you still don't understand, then let your brother read and post the question.

Collapse -
I understand yours just the other person
by ldr223 / February 1, 2006 1:21 AM PST

Hi, I understand yours good just the other person explaining it to me I didn't understand.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) its about the samething actually...
by Melati Hitam / February 1, 2006 1:35 AM PST
Collapse -
RE:
by bknowledge / January 31, 2006 1:14 AM PST

Need more details, is it a connection running to a house or a building next door. Are the systems PCs or Laptops. More detail your info the better answer you will get.

Collapse -
Re
by ldr223 / January 31, 2006 2:07 AM PST
In reply to: RE:

Hi, Its running to the house actually a room next to his. There are both PC's mine is ME his is XP PC's.

Collapse -
Setup
by bknowledge / January 31, 2006 3:59 AM PST
In reply to: Re

You got yours to work but it will be the same for his PC, plug and play. You plug the modem into the router and them the PC. Power them up 1 then 2 then 3. Make sure he's using a cat5e or 6 cable to connect to the router and then using the internet wizard if there any problems. Also download any new fireware for the router.

Collapse -
Okay That Went Over My Head Now
by ldr223 / January 31, 2006 3:16 PM PST
In reply to: Setup

Hi, Most of that stuff you said went over my head. I need to tell me in plain english and plus step by step because I never did this before. I try to talk to my brother about setting it up again with what you said. Maybe it can make some since to him because I didn't understand that and he work on it last time to make it work. Thanks for going over my head with that.

Collapse -
Do you have a wireless lan card in your computer?
by jim c / January 31, 2006 3:30 AM PST

If not, then you'll have to buy one and install it in your computer before you can connect to the wireless router.

Collapse -
Couldn't Get The Wizard Step Up To Work Now
by ldr223 / February 5, 2006 3:28 AM PST

Hi, I work on my router today. I couldn't get the step up wizard to get the router to work on my brother computer. He got FireFox for his explorer and I type the address to go to the wizard step and couldn't get it to work the picture shows internet explorer on it and he got FireFox. How can you get FireFox to go to the wizard step up. Thanks, Ldr223

Collapse -
Just a thought
by Melati Hitam / February 5, 2006 4:28 AM PST

Did you connect it correctly?
(i.e. Modem --> Router --> PC)

And the order of turning on the power on each device?
(Turn the Modem.. wait until all the light stabilized, then turn on the router then the PC).

Did you install the Router drivers/utility?

What IP did you get?

You can run IE in your brother pc, if you really can not use firefox... just find the icon in Start, all programs...

Collapse -
You must bridge your modem
by money11465 / February 6, 2006 9:26 AM PST

OK. First, disconnect the cables and turn off your router. Then connect the cable you used with your modem to the WAN prt. The WAN port should be the one that is kind of set apart from the others. It might not be connected with the same strip of metal to the router's body or it might say WAN or it might be farther away from the other ports. Power on your modem. Wait so all the lights are steady. Connect the cable that kind of looks like a phone cable (except wider) to one of the other ports (doesn't matter which one) on your router and run that cable to the right port (which the router was previously connected)on your PC. Power on your router. If the internet doesn't work, follow these steps on the computer running Windows XP:
1) Directly connect your PC to your modem but keep everything powered on.
2) Go to control panel and hit 'Network Connections'
3) Right-click 'Local Area Connection' and hit repair
4) Wait until the computer tells you it is done
5) Go to the start menu and push run
6) Type 'cmd' and hit enter
7)type 'ipconfig' and press enter
8)look for a place where it says 'IP Address'
9) In Internet Explorer, tpye in 'http://', followed by the number you just got, and then put a slash (/)
10) For example: if I found the IP Adress to be '192.168.1.254', a very common one for modems, I would type 'http://192.168.1.254/' in the address bar and hit enter or press go
11) A page for your modem should come up
12) Depending on your modem brand and model, you must bridge your connection. Often these settings will be under Configure or Connections. You may have to push a button that enters expert mode. If you want, you can call your DSL service provider and ask them how to bridge it. Tell them you are on the modem's home page and that you would only like to know how to bridge your modem.
13) Now connect your modem to your router's WAN port (the one that is slightly set apart from the others, but has the same connector) and another cable to your computer from one of the router's other ports.
14) Now repair your connection again (steps 2-4)
15) Go to Internet Explorer and type in 'http://192.168.0.1/' and hit go or press enter
16) You should come up with a page for your router, sort of like the one you came up with for your modem
17) There might be a 'Run Wizard' button on that page. Press it and follow the on-screen instructions. If not, go to step 18.
18) There might be a button that says WAN on the left-hand side of the page. Press it.
19) there should be an option for connection method or something similar. In that option, look at all of them until you see PPPoE. Push that.
20) Enter your username and password for your service. Your brother should have this info. Many companies use the format last name, first initial@comany.net and the password is the last 7 digits of your phone number. For example, if my name was John Smith, my internet service provider was 'PhoneCorp.' and I had the phone number (123)456-7890, my username and password would look like this:
smithj@phonecorp.net -> username
4567890 -> password
21) Press apply or submit or whatever button might do that. You should be up and running.
22) Hook up your ME computer to another of the ports on the back of your router with the a cable, 'Ethernet', which you have between your router and modem or router and computer.
If you have any problem, tell me avout it in this thread; I have bookmarked it and will be checking it often.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.