Question

How to install XP setup from 2nd hard disk

How can I install Windows XP from slave hard disk (disk-2)
My Primary hard disk is WD 250gb SATA and Slave disk is Seagate IDE
and tell me how to make my Slave disk (disk-2) bootable to run Windows XP.
I am usin intel D915 motherboard which has four SATA slots and one Ide slot.

Does any one know?

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: How to install XP setup from 2nd hard disk
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: How to install XP setup from 2nd hard disk
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Clarification Request
Seems odd

Is there another OS running now that you boot from. I don't see why you want to boot from slave HD unless you had another OS installed. If you plan to make this a backup, then install the OS with it attached "ALONE". That way, it may try to boot once it's directed or found. -OR- once the OS is properly loaded, and working, disconnect and leave it alone physically until you need it and re-attach. I can only guess here, because since and later windoze OSes tend to muddle things abit. The IDE port is there for CD drives and/or trying to bridge the gap of SATA and IDE. If you do this you may want to switch to "legacy" or similar wording in the bios to boot from the IDE.

- Collapse -
Clarification

I am using OS Windows xp on my SATA.... and I am planning to make IDE drive as backup of windows xp which can boot and install xp on my SATA drive....

- Collapse -
As I see it....

Quite frankly, I would use an ext. mounting case and place that IDE drive there. Though, as i explained it having the IDE alone in the system, install the XP OS to it and once done, update it, etc. and completed, disconnect(cables only) it from the system. Doing the same thing with the ext. case using the proper backup s/w, etc. to accomplish this will do as well. Mounting the IDE drive in the PC alone works if the system allows it to be booted from that IDE port(it should) but there are so many variables to contend with which is why I mention the ext. case as being more open to this same task. Of course, I see no mention of just where that XP install version is coming from and that may make a difference for these end results.

- Collapse -
Answer
My bet is

That this is not documented or supported. BUT if you research how to install XP from USB the steps should be about the same.

Given all the headache involved why not just boot the XP CD and install?
Bob

- Collapse -
In Reply to: How to install XP setup from 2nd hard disk

it cost too much times...My system is ok with that but for future convenience I ask the above....

- Collapse -
"it cost too much times"?

Sorry but I can't tell what that means. Installing XP from USB is about as fast at it gets plus it's well discussed.
Bob

- Collapse -
Re: installing XP from second hard disk

Wouldn't restoring an image be faster than going through a complete install?

Kees

CNET Forums