General discussion

How to install Ubuntu?

I have downloaded 695MB Desktop Edition from it's official website.Is it a trial version /full version??

I'm installing it along with Windows 7 Home Premium.It asks for Internet connection for installing updates.

I have a Reliance data card but how is it gonna work until and unless the operating system gets completely installed?

Please help!!

How to make partition?I have 2 partition in Windows 7.

My HDD 320 GB
RAM 3 GB

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: How to install Ubuntu?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: How to install Ubuntu?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
answer

>I have downloaded 695MB Desktop Edition from it's official website.Is it a trial version /full version??
It is full version.
Linux is totally free and strongly against that stupid trial edition, pro edition, time bomb etc ideas.

>I have a Reliance data card but how is it gonna work until and unless the operating system gets completely installed?
Just like that: from installation media. You should not care about that remember that it is Linux not DOS. Wink

>How to make partition?I have 2 partition in Windows 7.
Just follow on screen instructions on install. Be sure to make backup just in case.

Also you shoud watch this tutorial video here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=higI04jG6R8
Just to see how simple everything is now. Wink

- Collapse -
Following problem is encountered while installing,Plz help!!

I manually created a 20 GB partition on my Windows Operating System for Ubuntu.

While installing Ubuntu I encountered following information on the screen:

Allocate Drive Space

Device Type Mount Point Format? Size Used
/dev/sda
/dev/sda1 Ntfs 104MB 35MB
/dev/sda2 Ntfs 169505M 36529MB
/dev/sda3 Ntfs 129487MB 73985MB
/dev/sda5 Ntfs 20971MB 3221MB

New Partition Task Add Change Delete Revert

Boot Loader

Device for boot loader installation:
/dev/sda ATA WDC WD3200BEVT-7(320.1GB)
/dev/sda1 Windows 7(loader)
/dev/sda2
/dev/sda3
/dev/sda5

Question 1: Which one I must select?I selectet ?/dev/sda5? and ?/dev/sda ATA WDC WD3200BEVT-7(320.1GB)? option. And when I clicked on Install now button, an error window appeared with the following message:

X No Root File System
__ No Root File System is defined.Please correct this from the partitioning Menu.

Question: Please help me from where I should correct this problem?

- Collapse -
hmm you shoud no go manual if you do not know how :)

Whatever.
If you go manual at very minimum you have to make at least one Linux partition and reformat it in Linux format not ntfs and not fat, something like ext3, ext4 or btrfs and it has to be set as / (a.k.a. root) in options.

- Collapse -
Shall I delete the 20 GB partition that I created in Windows

using NTFS?

Que 2) Could you tell me how to manually extract a 20 GB space from the Windows partition and then format it with ext ... as you said?

If I'll choose other options they ask me to erase full HDD that I can't do as I have lot of data in my HDD.

- Collapse -
Root file system

Firstly: You did things the hard way by making a new partition before running the installer.

The "root file system" error message is saying "Hey, you haven't told me which partition to install Ubuntu to!".

Click /dev/sda5, which I presume is the 20 GiB partition you want to install Ubuntu to. Click on Edit. Under the "Format As" popup menu, choose "Ext4" (Linux cannot be installed to a Windows-formatted partition). Under the "Mount Point" popup menu, choose (or type) the forward slash (/). This is where Ubuntu will be installed.

Click Ok and then you can continue with the installation.

If you had let the installer do the partitioning for you, then all you would have had to do was tell the installer how much space you wanted to partition away for Ubuntu, and there you go.

- Collapse -
Ubuntu Installation

I have downloaded the file and followed the instructions for a single boot system, but it will not install. I had the same issue with Mandriva Linux. Is there a Linux program out there that can be installed on a PC? I can setup a Dual boot with Ubuntu, but I don't want a dual boot. I am trying to get away from Windows all together. But Linux doesn't work. So what are my options?

- Collapse -
answers

>Is there a Linux program out there that can be installed on a PC?
All Linux programs can be installed on PC. Now I write from PC with Fedora 14 beta. Wink
Try Fedora.
Also try to post what problem you have exactly?
Maybe you just missclick something?

- Collapse -
Apparently

You got Mandriva to boot up.
Follow the Wizard or use Costume Partitioning (my prefer method).

If you have a MS installed you will see the drive like a bar. On the MS NTFS side will be blue. You can Click on the Grey or Blue bar that you want to go and choose what size and file system needs to be.

For Linux, you need 3 Partitions, 1 for root (called ./ ), 1 for Swap (Page File on MS) and 1 for the user (is called ./home).

My favorite File System is Riser XF for Home and Root, Swap has its own file system.

When you finish with the install, the Mandriva Wizard will ask where do you want the Boot Loader. I choose the Master Boot Record (MBR) but some prefer to have its own Partition.

It will reboot and you will see the boot loader asking where to go.

If you do not see the choice and boots straight to MS, most likely it was not installed.

For a test drive, use Mandriva One the Live Distro or download the Free version that is a DVD size.

By the way, do not use NTFS on Linux, it does weird things when is not shutdown properly. Use the Linux file systems that are plenty to choose from.

You can set your system using the following...

20 GBs for MS OS
10 GBs for Linux Root (./)
10 GBs for Linux Home (./home)
500 MB~1 GB for Swap (if you have over 2 GB or RAM, not really need it).

279 GBs on a NTFS partition.
The reason? Is a Common Partition for both OS that you can place data there for both OSs to see. In case MS beat the dust and you need to recover the data, it will be safely on a place that you can view it with Linux and you can reload MS with the minimum amount of data loss (does not cover catastrophic HDD failure) but is better than nothing.

I hope I shed some light Happy

- Collapse -
Ubuntu install

Go to WUBI INSTALLER for the download, easiest way.

CNET Forums

Forum Info