Desktops forum

General discussion

how to install CD drive on this motherboard

how can i add a cd drive on this mother board
http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3672390&CatId=2320

i have to replace my motherboard on my gateway computer, but the original mother board is too expensive to i have decided to build computer, all tho this is my first time building a computer

i know a mother had a CD in IDE slot on the motherboard but it looks like this mother or most of the mother board i have been looking at doesn't have it.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: how to install CD drive on this motherboard
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: how to install CD drive on this motherboard
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I see an IDE connector on the board.

In reply to: how to install CD drive on this motherboard

Why not use that?

Collapse -
I COULD BUT..

In reply to: I see an IDE connector on the board.

well i could but then where would i plug in a hdd, i dont have a SATA hdd, i only have the standard hdd
and are u sure you can plug cd drive in that blue IDE header???

Collapse -
With ONE IDE you get...

In reply to: I COULD BUT..

Two devices. So you have a hard disk and a DVDR/W drive. Done?

Collapse -
so u mean

In reply to: With ONE IDE you get...

so u mean i can use that same wire for both the hdd and the CD/DVD drive??

Collapse -
Yes.

In reply to: so u mean

And to be clear about it. We are following the rules of IDE use here.
Bob

Collapse -
SATA?

In reply to: how to install CD drive on this motherboard

According to the specs page you provided there is one-IDE port, 5-SATA ports. Normally, I would use the SATA for a HD and IDE for CDs as that can be had. You can install both a HD and CD drive if "IDE type into that solo IDE port. Make the HD, master and CD, slave -OR- HD on last connector and CD in middle connector under the CS cabling setup. You will need a 40-connector/80-wire cable, very common but verify if not, buy one. Alas, if you like get your hands on SATA HD in order to keep the IDE port for CD drives and now your new HD is ready for any possible future needs. There are also SATA CD drives as well. This is the norm for newer systems as SATA is the new std.. If you need further SATA info, your new manual should explain that in connections, etc..

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
thankss

In reply to: SATA?

thanks u are the best

Collapse -
one quick question

In reply to: SATA?

i am going to buy a AM2+ motherboard, so will the AM2 CPU fit on AM2+ motherboard???

i google searched it and wikipedia said it will but i just wanted to make sure before i do any thing

Collapse -
Please check...

In reply to: one quick question

Wikipedia isn't one for the true answer. The mtrbd. support website and/or manual will give the details you need. Usually, the website provides some cpu supported listing, so take it from there. Beware, sometimes a bios update is required *maybe* for the full supported range of the cpu list. Offhand, I'll say yes, but verify against the list. It doesn't hurt to ask the vendor or see if they come bundled in some package deal, if provided.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
If the mtrbd. you mentioned...

In reply to: one quick question

Collapse -
well i should do this

In reply to: If the mtrbd. you mentioned...

hmm the web stie says it is AM2+, so i think the AM2 CPU will not work with this
and any ways alot of people left bad review on newegg( where i am going to shop from) so i think i am gonna find a new motherboard that is AM2+ and AM2

hey willy what do u think of a MSI motherboar? or can u recommend a good motherboard in a price range of 80-13$$

Collapse -
IMHO...

In reply to: well i should do this

Compared to ECS mtrbds. MCI, IMHO is alot better. The opinion is mine but having done repairs on various mtrbds. over the yrs. ECS is simply a cheap offering, it may have the options etc., but too often price is the selling point. Once you look at other brands out you'll see ECS is usually priced lower.

tada -----Willy Happy

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.