Mac OS forum

Question

How to Install Canon MF8580 printer drivers on OSX 10.9.5

Hello All,

I now run OSX 10.9.5. I run the printer at caption.
My problem is that the printer has malfunctioned and the problem has been diagnosed as a driver problem. I have located the printer drivers but i'm cautious as to how to install them.

My question is, "Do I uninstall the current drivers before installing the updated ones and how to do so?

I am grateful for any assistance given me as this problem seriously hampers my work. I can print from Windows but cannot print greeting cards and invitations from OSX.

Thanking you.

Standeb.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to Install Canon MF8580 printer drivers on OSX 10.9.5
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to Install Canon MF8580 printer drivers on OSX 10.9.5
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
You should just install the new drivers,

In reply to: How to Install Canon MF8580 printer drivers on OSX 10.9.5

delete the printer from the Printers and Scanners Pref pane and then add it back in again.

OS X will/should pick up the newly installed drivers, assuming they are of a later date than the one you are currently using.

You can also go to the Library that is at the root of the HD > Library > Printers, find the old one and drag it to the desktop.
Do NOT remove the .plist file.

Now add the printer back in the Prefs pane.

P

Collapse -

In reply to: You should just install the new drivers,

Hello mrmacfixit,

Thanking you I am for your timely reply. Didn't expect to receive one so quickly. I am a virtual newbie to OS X but however I took a peek in and saw the download and the applications and my question is Which do I do first. Remove the printer driver and then download and install? The machine in question is a multifunction one and I am wondering if I should only deal with the printer driver since that is where to trouble is.

I use the same on a network from a router. I also run windows 8 and the same works perfectly on windows 8. This printer works good with documents but I am a graphic artist and print invitations tickets and the like, even greeting cards That's where the problem is. It just goes black on the graphics while using heavy paper.

I am a hands on person and not savvy to OS X so I would need a sort of walk through explanation on how to do this hence I do ask.

Thank you again as I await your reply.

Regards.

Standeb.

Collapse -
Delete the printer first,

then install the new driver.

One thing you could try.

Connect the printer to the Mac via USB.
OS X "should" see the printer and download the newest driver for it automatically.
Do the above after deleting the printer.

If OS X does prompt you and install the driver, once completed and with the printer up and running correctly, disconnect from USB and join it to your network

P

Collapse -
great

In reply to: You should just install the new drivers,

thanks for this info

Collapse -

In reply to: great

Hello mrmacfixit.

Thank you again. As you said mac automatically downloaded the drivers. This I noticed after I had i uninstalled the stalled and reinstalled the printer. Thing is that in early November and mid December last I got updates from Canon. That was when the trouble started. What I think happened was that the updates would not have worked without Yosemite installed. I still ran Mavericks. While I uninstalled the printer today, I downloaded and installed Yosemite and then reinstalled the printer, test printed a full coloured greeting card and the printer worked beautifully. The updates from Canon were listed as incompatible while the issues were there but not incompatible now. Meanwhile I still can't understand why printer tray No. 2 does not work on command from Mac. It works from windows.

Thank you so much for your assistance. Your narrative was very clear.

Standeb.

Collapse -
Pleased you got to printing again,

and I'm sure that the tray #2 problem will eventually be resolved.

Meanwhile, my work here is done.

Enjoy the new drivers and get back to your work. Happy

P

Collapse -

In reply to: Pleased you got to printing again,

Hello mrmacfixit,

Thanking you again for your assistance. I am to advise that the problems have been solved.

Best Regards,

Standeb.

Collapse -
(NT) Thanks for the update

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.