Question

How to indentify the problem in my PC?

My PC had 120 Gb hard drive, and 512 Mb Ram
it's an old model, but oh well, I think it is 6 years old.
a long time ago, around 1 to 2 years, I have 1600M - PF.
I tried to download a game, that required 1042Mb Ram though I know i only have 512. Then, since that day, Whenever I try to do something that required my computer to work really hard, It shuts down automatically and makes this annoying High Pitch noise. This High-Pitch noise was kind of sounded like an ALARM CLOCK. It doesn't stop beeping till I unplug the main cord for the CPU. But actually it stops beeping like 5 to 10 seconds after i unplugged it. So, it's basically making this sound even I unplugged the cord already.
And yeah, I forgot to tell that each time it shuts down, I'm loosing Memory. Like, I have 1600M on PF before.. Now i only have 1000M and i know that it's really bad. So, I'm just basically asking what kind of solutions I can do to fix it. I think that my chips are roasted. It made this annoying shut down with high pitch noise..... like 50 times already.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: How to indentify the problem in my PC?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: How to indentify the problem in my PC?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
It's The "I'm Overheated" Warning Sound, Or....

....the power supply is failing as well.

You need to remove the case cover from the computer and use compressed air to blow out dust from around the processor, the heatsink, the power supply, and all fans and vents... Because of its age, you may also need to reapply thermal paste between the processor and heatsink.. It needs to be clean and cool in there.

Next, if the game needs more RAM, I recommend doing so..

And finally, if the computer was a store-bought, brand-name computer, then the power supply is insufficient for running the game and any other added goodies you've put on it over the years.. I'll suggest replacing the current PS with something more powerful.

Hope this helps.

Grif

- Collapse -
Thanks for the info..

I'll try to check it out and do what you told me.

- Collapse -
after cleaning the CPU's PSU and cooling system.

Ok i cleaned the CPU.. but the Page file M still remains 1k... is there any possible way to regain my old page file 1.6 K ??
which part in the CPU is responsible for that??
is it the PSU? .. or motherboard?

- Collapse -
You can set your page file ...
- Collapse -
Thanks .. it did work..

And umm.. I don't really know much stuff about the systems of computer ..but yeah thanks a lot and I figured it out..

Happy

- Collapse -
(NT) Good Job & Thanks For Posting Back

CNET Forums