Web Hosting, Design, & Coding forum

Question

How to improve website load time

Hi guys,

I've tried everything, caching techniques, server upgrade (using litespeed), minified css & js, etc. etc. but still I'm not able to get a good load time. There is some problem with the first byte time for me which is over 4 secs and a total load time of 10 secs.

Can anyone help me to solve this issue?

Thanks,

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to improve website load time
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to improve website load time
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
There are tools like YSLOW out there.

In reply to: How to improve website load time

Collapse -
Image Compression

In reply to: There are tools like YSLOW out there.

Hi Bob,

Thanks for your reply.

I've wordpress installation and use WP Smush IT. Can you please let me know if there's anything else I need to compress the images.

Thanks,

Collapse -
Since you are a web master.

In reply to: Image Compression

Why not try old school methods to shrink these images? Back to 256 colors, etc. All well discussed areas so I'll stop here.
Bob

Collapse -
Clarification Request
Have you analyzed what

exactly is slowing down your site? Once you know what the problem is, you'll be able to better address it.

~Sovereign

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
To increase speed

You may take all your website files to Amazon aws service and it would certainly help

Collapse -
Answer
CloudFlare hosting

You can switch your hosting provider or you can simply use CDN(content delivery network) with your current one. Ive got my own web hosting services which I could recommend and we have CloudFlare integrated with cpanel. Type in google INTERNETUM if this is something your might be interested in.

Collapse -
Answer
How improve web site load time?

Make your web site not in high resolution because it's affect the speed and if your website is not e-commerce base than put minimum images in your web site. this two are major affected issue.

Collapse -
Answer
Tips for improving Website Speed

Website speed depends upon various factors. Here are the tips for improving your website load time-

Optimize Images correctly
Combine different Stylesheets and put them in the head section at the top
Reduce Scripts & put them at the bottom
Stop using Flash
Compress Files
Use browser caching
Use plugins wisely

Collapse -
Answer
Have you considered a CDN?

You may want to consider using a CDN such as KeyCDN. CDN's help speed up your website by caching the static content on your site on different servers around the world therefore making content delivery faster for people accessing your site.

Besides that I would also consider, optimizing your images, reducing the amount of external HTTP requests you make and gzipping your content.

Edited 11/1/15 by Moderator:
Removed campaign link to KeyCDN.

Post was last edited on November 1, 2015 4:34 PM PST

Collapse -
Answer
How to improve website load time?

Tips to speed up your site

Reduce URL redirects- Don’t redirect your website urls unless you have to- or rather, maintain URL consistency without resorting to redirection as your only option.

Compress your files: The best practice for faster page load time is to enable file compression on your web server. This will reduce the size of files that need to be downloaded and increase load speed as a result.

Optimize your images
: To accomplish a faster loading web page, crop all unnecessary space and reduce color depth on your images to the lowest acceptable level. Also remove image comments, and only use the images in an suitable format to make sure they don’t raise the average page load time unnecessarily.

Be careful with your scripts : If you have to use too many styling scripts, then use asynchronous scripts as these can help your web pages render faster in a natural manner.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.