Video Cameras forum

General discussion

How to import raw video from DCR-HC40 onto computer

by NewbieCamUser / August 16, 2004 7:16 AM PDT

Hi,
How can I get the raw video from the MiniDV DV tape on sony DCR-HC40 to my computer?
Can it be done via the S-Video thing?

Please Advise
Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to import raw video from DCR-HC40 onto computer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to import raw video from DCR-HC40 onto computer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Yes, but no.
by Kiddpeat / August 16, 2004 7:52 AM PDT

It can interface via the S-video if your computer has that ability, but why do that? It has both firewire and USB. Either can be used to send a digital signal to the pc. Your manual should tell you how.

You will need 'capture' software on the pc. That will take the data sent from the camera and put it in a usable form on the pc. Your camera probably came with software, but, if not, you will need to buy it. Something like Easy Media Creator 7 from Roxio should work.

Collapse -
Re: How to import raw video from DCR-HC40 onto computer
by cluelessdvdcreator / August 19, 2004 1:54 AM PDT

I did not get software with the DCR-HC40 that would allow me to capture the raw video. You will find that you will have the most success w/ the following:

Pentium 3 or higher
512MB RAM or greater
a secondary harddrive with lots of free space (7200 rpm) 100GB plus (since 1hr of raw .AVI format video will take about 13GB of storage - then you want space for edited versions etc.)
AND you want to do with a FIREWIRE connection - USB will be slow and you'll probably drop frames or get poor quality

If you have XP you should have or could download MovieMaker. I believe it allows you to capture, edit and author.

Check out this site it has great info for beginners:
http://www.videohelp.com/guides.php?howtoselect=9#9

Oh, last thought.... you need to have lots of time and patience because tweaking your computer to get it just right will take a lot of both!!! But when you get it its pretty rewarding!

(I speak from experience as a newbie who's been hacking away at a movie since the 4th of July - I finally have a video burnt on to a DVD that I'm happy with... 2 months later...)

Collapse -
by Aurora / August 25, 2004 8:49 AM PDT

I am having a similar problem, trying to get the video into the computer. But my question is how to connect my i-Link Firewire cord that came with my Sony DCR-TRV20 digital videocamera to my new Dell PC (WindowsXP). The Firewire 1394 slots on the computer are bigger than the i-Link plugs - is there an adapter cord I can buy? Both the camera and the computer have S-video slots, and I have a S-Video cord, but I think firewire would be better. What's the difference? Thanks.

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 25, 2004 12:37 PM PDT

Yes, there are no less than 3 firewire connectors. A 4, 6 and 9 wire/pin end. You may feel a little incensed at the price of the cable, but I cheated. I bought a new firewire card and it had the cable I needed for less money even after shipping than the local store had the cable alone... Mine was from compgeeks.com

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?