Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

How to import OE folders?

by cocothompson / February 1, 2006 7:23 PM PST

How do I import all my folders and Address Book I saved on a CD-RW(was using Windows 98)to my new PC (Win XP - yipee!)? I have no idea what the file names for these are.
BTW thanks for being here for me all you CNET gurus!
Louise Thompson

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to import OE folders?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to import OE folders?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Import. . .
by Coryphaeus / February 1, 2006 8:38 PM PST

Open IE. Click Edit, Import. Point to the location of the files.

Collapse -
One item to note.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 1, 2006 10:20 PM PST

IE/OE may not import from CDR/W. It may balk at the file being read-only. The workaround is to copy it to the hard disk, uncheck the read-only flag and import.

Bob

Collapse -
Can't find the files or folders
by cocothompson / February 2, 2006 10:52 AM PST
In reply to: One item to note.

Can you help me find out which folders or files are 'Local Folders' and the Address Book? I did what you recommended (uncheck the read-only files), but I dont want to import all of the old Outlook Express because this system says it has a newer version of OE.
Thanks, Louise

Collapse -
You've confused me.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 2, 2006 11:32 AM PST

You wrote they were on your CDR/W.

Bob

Collapse -
I'm sure I'm the confused one
by cocothompson / February 2, 2006 3:36 PM PST
In reply to: You've confused me.

Ron you are right. I have the OE folder on CD-RW, but because my new PC already has Outlook Express on it, all I want to do is copy, import, move or whatever to get my Address Book and additional folders I was working on within "Local Folders" from the E drive to this sytem's OE folder. Hope this clarifies this.

Collapse -
To learn where OLEXP's files are...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 2, 2006 8:30 PM PST

Type OLEXP BACKUP into google.com. Remmember what I wrote earlier about the read-only flag on these files. You will be checking that after you copy them from the CDRW.

Bob

Collapse -
Ron, ~, .wab, .dbx files import to OEXP mega problems!
by cocothompson / February 8, 2006 12:46 AM PST

I'm still not having any luck - perhaps this background info will help you understand the problems I'm having.
I backed up to CD-RW all my old PC data(Win98) and am having many problems transfering,importing,exporting, c&p'ing or whatever to OEXP on my new PC(WinXP).
First you should know that I always deleted the ` files that appeared on my desktop (I think I now know that was a BIG mistake!). Does this mean that I will not be able to retreive the Address Book that I was using that I backed up to the CD?
Somehow I now have 3 Address Book .wab files sitting on the C drive and the .dbx files are also there - some in a backup folder, some not.
I did manage to get one Address Book imported into OE, but it's an OLD version(2003).
When I tried to send the .dbx file to OEXP I get a 'create new message' window with the .dbx file as an attachment, so I sent it to myself, but I can't open it because it tells me it's an unknown file type and the error message reads: "this folder does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Folder Options control panel".
I don't know where this is and anyway wouldn't know what association to create.
I really need your expert help and appreciate your being there for newbies like myself. (I did check your link and others, but still can't find help I need.
Thanks in advance,
Louise

Collapse -
Read the following...
by Edward ODaniel / February 8, 2006 1:38 AM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.