General discussion

How to identify the problem?

I'm pretty sure I have a virus - but all other suggestions gratefully received also.
I'm running WinXP Pro on a self built machine. I use Norton Anti Virus 2004 and had updated it last on 2/21/05. Yesterday, I started the machine (it seems to be working in all other respects other than what follows) and I'm getting a denial of service of my dial up Internet connection. The machine restarts whenever the modem starts negotiating with the ISP's server. So: I used another machine, went to the Symantec site, downloaded the updated protection manually & insalled it on the sick machine. No virus was detected however. I have enabled all the possibilities in the anti virus but still no viruses are found. I also ran MSConfig, disabled all in the start up screen, didn't reboot, then ran MSConfig again but nothing had started automatically.
That just about exhausts my techno abilities so I hope someone out there has the answer & is willing to share.........Thanks.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: How to identify the problem?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: How to identify the problem?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Explain this please

You said, "I also ran MSConfig, disabled all in the start up screen, didn't reboot, then ran MSConfig again but nothing had started automatically".

If you didn't reboot after disabling all start-up items, how do you know that there was nothing there when you initially switched on the computer?

Have you tried a return to the "Last known good configuration" in Safe Mode?

That way if it works, you can access the internet and download a firewall, anti-spyware programs, (eg Microsoft Anti-spyware, Spybot Search and Destroy, and SpywareBlaster), and an anti-adware program.

Mark

- Collapse -
I was just following some advice that I read in Computer

Shopper. Those were the instructions. If I reboot then nothing will start automatically & will anything work? sstray etc?
Anyway, I'll now do what you suggest with the last known configuration. Surely that won't foil a virus will it?

- Collapse -
Hopefully it will

allow you to connect back up to the internet to you can download those anti-malware programs, install t5hem, update their definitions and then scan your computer.

You could also try an online scan here;

http://housecall.trendmicro.com , and set the scan to delete all viruses.

Good luck,

Mark

CNET Forums

Forum Info