Web Hosting, Design, & Coding forum

General discussion

How to host my website on my own

by Ray Harinec / November 20, 2004 6:54 AM PST

computer set up as a server, but connected to an ISP via Dial up

or

DSL

or Cable

What do I need so that the domain name is "stored" [or whatever the proper term is??] on my computer. Mean that when someone on line types in my URL it gets them to the site on my computer.

Very low density traffic.

If I want to post a link to a section or page of my site, I want the URL bar to show the entire URL including the page/item and go to only that spot. Not sure of the exact terminology for these things.

No luck whatsoever with google searches, possibly because of my poor terminology.

Seems that a DSN is needed for the domain name among other things.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to host my website on my own
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to host my website on my own
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) DNS should replace DNS
by Ray Harinec / November 20, 2004 7:12 AM PST
Collapse -
Re: How to host my website on my own
by raa / November 21, 2004 4:35 AM PST

I wrote several tutorials related to your question. The tutorials are dated, but if anything, life has gotten easier now. For example, Apache now requires less headache to install and configure.

Read the two tutorials below.

http://oasisoflove.dyns.cx:2004/index.php3

Run your own WebSite from Home
Dynamic DNS - A static URL for your ip

Richie.

Collapse -
Wow, thanx a lot more than a bunch.
by Ray Harinec / November 21, 2004 5:00 AM PST

Will take a while tofully digest [if ever]. Rally for Starband satellite so need to find out about static or, dynamic IP.

Looking at a DNS server program written for windows,

a link, in the event you might want to know of it.

http://www.jhsoft.com/

Can't thank you enough. May have to email you questions in a week or so. LOL

Collapse -
Two questions about your site,
by Ray Harinec / November 21, 2004 5:32 AM PST

I am trying to register. The screen says type in my zipcode and hit "Continue" there is no such word or ? to click on that page even when I scroll all the way to the right.

Also is there a "legal" way to print some of the info from your two articles so that I can read them off line???

Collapse -
Re: Two questions about your site,
by Coryphaeus / November 30, 2004 11:11 AM PST

What are you trying to register for? My guestbook?

Copy/print away, no problem.

Collapse -
After reading the info, it would appear
by Ray Harinec / November 21, 2004 6:34 AM PST

that to have the DNS on your own server one still has to use one of the redirector sites, if the connection to the internet backbone is via any ISP of any type.

Is there a way to make ones home compter / server connect directly to the backbone and be a private ISP????

Collapse -
Hey Ray. . .
by Coryphaeus / November 29, 2004 12:13 AM PST

Go to my site http://www.wayne.hardy.com and scroll down to The Specifics. This how mine is set up and lists the software to do it.

Wayne

Collapse -
Wayne. I started at your site
by Ray Harinec / November 29, 2004 11:11 AM PST
In reply to: Hey Ray. . .

by reading that info, before starting this thread. The links that raa provided were very helpful and allowed me to understand why your domain names are "farmed out".

Two things that you mentioned there got me researching further. One is that you mention that your URL when some one goes to your site only shows the home page. doesn't include the sub pages [not sure what they are called]. I want to readily copy and paste [or have anyone copy/paste] the complete URL to a specific ["paragraph" / article ???] of a page in an email or a forum to send someone directly to the item of interest.

The other is that I saw that you have your Domain Name parked at another location.

I wanted to find out how to have my server respond to my domain name. It appears to not be doable if my server connects to the internet thriugh an ISP that uses dynamic IP's for the connection to my server. It seems that a site on the other side of the backbone has to interogate my ISP somehow to find the current IP and then steer my domain name to that new IP. raa's link explains it pretty well.

I guess that it could be static if my server was connected 24/7 and never went down. But then any possible visitor would still have to know the IP number or the ISP would agree to redirect the domain name to the IP.

That's why I asked if there was a way to make my server an ISP. Been looking at a good block diagram of the internet and its backbone and the name of the key players for providing the connection to the backbone. Probably won't look much further because I am sure that it would cost a bunch, and I do not have access to any quality phone line to provide a high speed connection to the backbone access site. And would have to lease such a line.

So that is now purely an academic interest. Although I may buy a DNS Server software package, just for further investigation.

Some of the things that I'm saying here may be incorrect. Totally new area for me.

If you can provide any insight either practical or academic, I'll appreciate it.

Collapse -
Re: Wayne. I started at your site
by Coryphaeus / November 29, 2004 2:29 PM PST

Go here http://24.0.232.224/ It's the address of my server. My domain name is at NetIdentity and the page there points to the URL above. My IBM is on 24/7 and behind my Comcast ISP. Don't really know how it works.

I don't know how you go about getting a domain name behind an ISP. First thought is that you'll need to establish this behind a backbone. Don't know how.

Collapse -
So, the long and short of it, if
by TONI H / November 29, 2004 9:29 PM PST

I read this correctly is that

1. I have my own server with my site on it

2. I have my domain name purchased and parked right now at the site where I purchased it

3. I have already got an ISP that I connect to the net with and that ISP already has the DNS (nameserver not IP numbers) info that I would need to give to the site where my domain name is parked in order to get directed to my site

4. I would have to submit at least one page to my ISP as acting 'host' of my website so that they could then redirect using my domain name to my own server (this part sounds like what you've done with Netidentity)

5. If #4 is correct, and my ISP doesn't allow servers without charging a large amount as a business account rather than residential, I would have to instead find another ISP on the net, such as Netidentity, to 'host' my domain name in order for the redirect to happen since I would then need to use the DNS information (nameserver not IP numbers) for Netidentity to unpark my domain name from where it's located now.....unless where I have it already could also host the redirect?

Trying to understand the middleman role for the redirect to my server and how to get it to function properly. Usually, if I get a visual in my head, the instructions start lighting up better.......

TONI

Collapse -
Pretty much correct. . .
by Coryphaeus / November 30, 2004 10:59 AM PST

4. My NetIdentity doesn't redirect. In fact they have a rule against redirecting to a numbered URL. At NetIdentity I have one page that is a frames page that points to my IBM server. That page accesses my IBM via my numbered URL.

In my D-link router it displayed my numbered URL. I set that address on my frames page. Now, when a request for my site, wayne.hardy.com, is sent by "the Net" it goes to NetIdentity. The frames page sends it to my IBM and my server software takes over.

I'm still learning this stuff, a friend at work set most of it up.

5. My ISP does not know about my router, home network, or site.

Collapse -
Wayne. I would like a little more info
by Ray Harinec / November 30, 2004 6:48 AM PST

re your server and your network of computers.

The fact that your server seems to have a fixed IP confounds me to some extent.

Some answers regarding your entire set up will help.

You have a few computers in a network configuration and the network liklely has a connection to the internet.

Is your server also part of that network??

Does your network [including the server] use the same Comcast internet connection??

Is comcast providing you a static IP?? [for a 24/7 connection????].

If the server is part of your basic multi-computer network, the server could have a static IP WITHIN the network. Otherwise I cannot understand how it could have a static IP if it were directly connected to comcast by itself unless Comcast is providing, by agreement, a static IP.

Not expecting all of the answers just where the server fits with your networked computers.

Collapse -
Re: Wayne. I would like a little more info
by Coryphaeus / November 30, 2004 11:08 AM PST

Ray, see what I also wrote to Toni.

I have three wired PCs connected to my router, connected to ComCast. One of these PCs is the IBM server. I guess the connection is static, never really thought about it or pursued it. Here is what my D-link router displays. Some are X'ed out.

WAN
MAC Address 00-40-XX-C7-XX-9D
Connection DHCP Client Connected
IP Address 24.0.232.224
Subnet Mask 255.XXX.XXX.0
Default Gateway 24.0.XXX.1
DNS XX.240.XX.198 204.XXX.199.8

Note the IP address. This is what I inserted into the frames page at NetIdentity.

Exactly how this all works with my server software I don't know.

HTH

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Thanx for the additional info. Helps a lot.
by Ray Harinec / November 30, 2004 12:26 PM PST
Collapse -
you need many things
by onebione / December 21, 2004 11:26 AM PST

i am most likely missing a few here but off the top of my head:
1. register for a domain name
2. from the DNS provider page, tell them where your computer is, IP addr.
3. run a web server on your computer to receive traffic from the net.

when ppl type in "www.yoursite.com", they go to DNS provider first to see your IP addr, once they know your IP, then they contact your PC at that IP directly.

~WhoSave.com is my site and I use it.

Collapse -
You need many things
by kitcar / January 5, 2005 7:28 PM PST
In reply to: you need many things

Actually, you can do it all with very little cost. Using Dynip, the cost is 29 bucks a year. Dynip uses your dynamic IP to redirect users to your computer. As an example, I named my site for my Dodgetalk.com nickname, kitcar. Whenever anyone types in www.kitcar.dynip.com, the servers at Dynip (they invented dynamic IP addresses) find my dynamic IP using the client running on my PC and redirect the address to there thus providing a seamless and VERY easy way to run a web site. All you have to do is type in the name you want and bingo bango you're done.

As far as server software goes, use either AnalogX simple server (will run Frontpage extensions) or use Lansuite602 as your webserver (and get a firewall, virus protection, internal email server with spam protection, which is free for up to 5 users (unlimited aliases)). I like Lansuite because it has an advanced Bayesian learning filter. The longer it runs, the more it learns spam. Right now, it's catching 93% of all the spam I get, which is somewhere around 400 per day.

It's actually very easy. So easy you'll think you're doing something wrong.

Check my site, which is a designed as a demonstration of this technology. http://www.kitcar.dynip.com

Collapse -
How To Do It.
by Ugg / December 25, 2004 4:22 AM PST

Ray:

Here's a site that's set up the way you want to have yours. He has instructions on how to do this & is also making some tutorials. http://www.kitcar.dynip.com/ . He's also very respnsive to questions. Hope this helps you.

Collapse -
how to do it
by kitcar / January 2, 2005 10:21 AM PST
In reply to: How To Do It.

I'm the guy that runs www.kitcar.dynip.com. I've been doing this kind of thing since the mid 80s. Visit the site and if you have questions use one of the email links; don't change the subject line or it will be picked up as spam. The stuff I use can be used with any connection from dialup to T1 and be set up in less than a half hour. Most of the software is free and works very well. I started with ISDN and have moved to cable. You can do it with dialup, but you'll have to keep the site simple.

Have fun and enjoy.

Collapse -
Hosting your own web site
by kitcar / January 23, 2005 5:03 AM PST
Collapse -
Important information if you host using Lansuite602
by kitcar / January 25, 2005 7:08 PM PST
Collapse -
Pitfall with hosting your own site
by kitcar / February 11, 2005 7:22 AM PST

Two words. DDOS and Hacks. Today is Feb 11, 2005. For the past week, I've been working to block a DDOS attack attempting to use my proxy server. I've been able to counter this two ways. First, using Lansuite2004, I blocked the ip addresses where the attack came from. Second, I used a program called "IPLookup" by softnik software to find the location of the hacker. Then I sent the owner of the ip address several emails detailing what was happening. I also used a system restore back a few months to try to get rid of any zombies I had on the system. I've been attack free for 48 hours now. I'll detail this in an upcoming article.

Collapse -
pitfall article
by kitcar / February 12, 2005 2:53 PM PST
Collapse -
Thanx, all. I'm collecting this info
by Ray Harinec / February 16, 2005 11:32 AM PST

and saving it, until the site is ready.

One big issue is that the ISP is a satellite service that doesn't want users to have a server.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.