HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Vista forum

General discussion

How to go from Vista 64 down to Vista 32?

by nishijb / March 28, 2008 10:24 PM PDT

I just ordered a quad core desktop and I opted for the Vista Premium 64-bit OS. After doing some reading I found that an important piece of software won't work on 64. Is there any way that I can go down to 32? will my 64 product key work for 32 as well?

I have a Vista Premium 32 upgrade disk...could this be used for a clean install and then use my 64 key?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to go from Vista 64 down to Vista 32?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to go from Vista 64 down to Vista 32?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
One more question...
by nishijb / March 28, 2008 10:59 PM PDT

I am a university student and can purchase a Vista Ultimate 32 upgrade disk. I know that people usually use it to upgrade from XP but can I use this upgrade disk to go from Premium 64 to Ultimate 32?

Collapse -
Vista x64 to Vista x86...
by John.Wilkinson / March 29, 2008 1:35 AM PDT
In reply to: One more question...

A Vista product key is valid for both x86 and x64 editions, provided you only use it for one installation at a time. However, if your OS was preinstalled by HP, Dell, etc. and not a retail version, you'll have to request the alternate x86 media from the manufacturer as the key is not valid with a retail or upgrade DVD.

John

Collapse -
Another question
by nishijb / March 29, 2008 2:03 AM PDT

If I buy the Ultimate 32 upgrade from my university, isn't there a way that I can clean install this ultimate 32 on my machine?

Collapse -
Faith.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 29, 2008 3:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Another question

If you research the drivers needed for your machine you might be able to. I've lost faith in today's users being able to install Windows proper.
Bob

Collapse -
Technically yes...
by John.Wilkinson / March 29, 2008 5:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Another question

It is possible to install Vista without entering a product key, and then performing an upgrade from Vista to Vista once installed, this time activating using the upgrade key. However, the license states you must have a current, qualifying license to Windows in order to perform the upgrade, and while the upgrade is in use you cannot use that original copy of Vista on any computer. Thus, you could technically clean install an upgrade version purchased form the university and then not use the copy that came preinstalled on your computer for the duration.

Note: You'd have to track down all of the drivers again to make all of the hardware function properly.

John

Collapse -
Thanks.
by nishijb / March 29, 2008 6:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Technically yes...

Thanks for the info. I should be find as I was able to find my exact computer on the HP website with drivers for both 64 and 32 bit versions of Vista.

Collapse -
Makers are letting me down.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 29, 2008 6:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks.
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.