HolidayBuyer's Guide

Samsung forum

Question

How to get Samsung to Reimburse for Defective DMD Chip?

by Mikepd / June 2, 2011 6:52 PM PDT

I have a Samsung HLT5676SX/XAA HDTV that developed a somewhat severe case of white dots. When I called Samsung the said that this model was not on the list of sets that were to get fixed for free.

So I had to get Sears to come and replace the defective DMD chip at a cost of slightly over $600. The repair took two technicians due to the need for the set to be recalibrated after the chip was replaced.

I do not wish to go through legal proceedings but seeing as how Samsung knows they have a serious design flaw on their hands, they should not expect customers to pay for their problems.

Any advice on how to reach someone higher than the first-line people who answer the phone would be greatly appreciated as I truly like the product and wist to resolve this as amicably and fairly as possible.

Thanks.

Regards,

Mike

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to get Samsung to Reimburse for Defective DMD Chip?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to get Samsung to Reimburse for Defective DMD Chip?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
wow
by Mikeeeeeb / June 16, 2011 5:19 AM PDT

This is concerning. I just made a repair appointment for this since the samsung worker wouldn't tell me a cost or if I had to cover it. For $600 I'll got buy another brand tv first. #4008373243.

Collapse -
wow
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / June 16, 2011 11:26 AM PDT
In reply to: wow

Mikeeeeeb,

Collapse -
Reimbursement for a defective DMD Chip
by AF73 / July 5, 2011 2:55 AM PDT

Where do you find the models that are approved for Chip reimburshement?

I have model HLT6176SX/XAA that Samsung just informed me that I need to replace the DMD Chip.

Collapse -
Good question but can you add a little more?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 5, 2011 3:50 AM PDT

While it's not "reimburshement" but a free repair (do we need to split words?) can you add the TRANSACTION NUMBER and Country to your post?
Bob

Collapse -
Not much more to add.
by AF73 / July 5, 2011 10:56 PM PDT

Was not given a transaction number, just a local repair shop to call. USA, Florida.

Collapse -
Not much more to add.
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / July 6, 2011 3:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Not much more to add.

AF73,

Collapse -
same white dots and defective dmd board problem
by dztran228 / October 10, 2011 4:46 AM PDT

Hello, I have the model HLT5676SX/XAA with white dots problem recently and contact Samsung customer service. They set me up for a local service appointment, but said I have to pay for it. My tracking number is 2109456157. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Collapse -
same white dots and defective dmd board problem
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / October 25, 2011 6:18 AM PDT

dztran228 and LesMcGee,

Collapse -
Same set.
by LesMcGee / October 20, 2011 12:49 PM PDT

I have the same set as the original poster and was dismayed after finding multiple forums covering this same exact problem. I too have started getting the same white dots and have found most likely my problem is a DMD chip as well. I talked with the Samsung Service department and they said this set was NOT covered under any defect list. Samsung Rep if you could look into this I sure would appreciate it.

HLT6176SX/XAA with defective DMD chip

My email is lesmcgee1@hotmail,com, any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks

Collapse -
(NT) it is not FREE You have to pay for the labor service call.
by texasholdemsdarlin / February 16, 2012 9:33 AM PST
Collapse -
You're right. This post is now outdated. Closing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 16, 2012 9:34 AM PST

Thanks for the update and as this discussion is now out of date please make a new post so you can get the current story.

Collapse -
same issue
by rgeorges27 / September 4, 2011 1:01 AM PDT

I too have the exact same problem with same model. I havent been able to get much help from Samsung's customer service via phone. My tracking number is 2108871415.

Collapse -
Same thing here
by SpamFreeOhio / October 25, 2011 9:39 AM PDT
In reply to: same issue

I have a HL-T5676SX/XAA and was told that my unit wasn't part of the same issue, that the TV doesn't have the problem.... When I asked them how it could not be the same problem as the others, the ones that are covered, if it's doing the same thing, they actually had the nerve to tell it that it was normal wear-and-tear and was not a defect... I bought the unit 4 years ago, can't believe these things only have a 4 year life expectancy - I have CRT's on 1980's computers that still work!

I managed to call enough times that I got them to agree to cover the fix, as a one-time-fix, as long as the technician agrees that the defect is the same as the other ones that are covered, if not then I have to eat the cost.

Transaction #4112684461

Collapse -
(NT) only part covered not labor so cheaper to buy a new TV
by texasholdemsdarlin / February 15, 2012 10:23 AM PST
In reply to: Same thing here
Collapse -
I have two affected TV's - please help
by peterachel1 / February 16, 2012 3:23 AM PST

I have two Samsung TV's, both purchased about 4 years ago, both with the white dot snow problem, both not used excessively, and I cannot believe you do not have a recall or firm free repair policy in place for this problem.
The models are hlt5675sx xaa & hlt5676sx xaa - one is at my home (5676) the other is with my daughter at college.
I was ready to stop completely buying Samsung products and just buy new TV's, but I bought these two because I really liked the picture quality - the 5676 started about 8 months ago with one white dot and now is full screen of white dots, the 5675 is about 20% covered with white dots.
I bought these both at Brandsmart here in West Palm beach - do you have a service center in West Palm area and in Pensacola area (daughter) that will fix these issues?
I understand it is a chip or board that goes bad and causes these problems. I agree with one of these posts - I have TV's from the 80's that work fine, and for this to happen is a defect NOT A USAGE ISSUE.
Please reply and let me know how you will be able to handle these repairs.

Collapse -
Link only.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 16, 2012 6:17 AM PST
Collapse -
(NT) there was a Class action lawsuit Samsung
by texasholdemsdarlin / February 16, 2012 9:36 AM PST
Collapse -
Samsung DLP tv
by shawnpv / February 16, 2012 6:14 AM PST

Hello HD Tech,

I have followed your posts here in the forums and I really need your help. I have contacted Samsung support regarding the white dot problem on my TV. I was told I would have to pay for the tech to come out to replace the chip. My transaction number is 5102930186. My TV is the HLT5075SX/XAA. Please help me or let me know how to get this resolved. I like my TV and want to keep my faith in Samsung.

Collapse -
(NT) Same here any brand but this one
by texasholdemsdarlin / February 15, 2012 10:25 AM PST
Collapse -
(NT) Labor only $180, can't by a new 65" for that
by AF73 / February 16, 2012 2:33 AM PST
Collapse -
(NT) Why should any customer pay labor? This is a defective part!
by texasholdemsdarlin / February 16, 2012 9:29 AM PST
Collapse -
(NT) And $180. City person its almost 300 for me at the farm.
by texasholdemsdarlin / February 16, 2012 9:30 AM PST
Collapse -
(NT) So how long have you worked for Samsung?
by texasholdemsdarlin / February 16, 2012 9:31 AM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.