Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

How to get rid of IE viruses AdClicker-BW and Reg/Seeker

I am running Windows XP and use McAfee, which detects the AdClicker-BW and Reg/Seeker viruses and deletes them but every time I open IE, they appear again. I downloaded FireFox and do not have the viruses appear,however my keyboard freezes up without warning. This all may be due to my discovery that my XP is pirated. Is there a way to deal with the virus issue seperately from the pirated software issue or do I need to erase my hard drive and start over? My computer is a Dell Inspiron 5000 notebook.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to get rid of IE viruses AdClicker-BW and Reg/Seeker
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to get rid of IE viruses AdClicker-BW and Reg/Seeker
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
2 issues to tackle.

In reply to: How to get rid of IE viruses AdClicker-BW and Reg/Seeker

1. The tools I note at http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6132-0.html?forumID=32&threadID=1313&messageID=15002 may also help remove a pest or two but IE is open season for many attacks. Use something else when you can until Microsoft updates it further.

2. What OS came with your laptop? Can you use that?

You may not able to get the latest patches until you make peace with Microsoft and obtain a new license or upgrade. The good news is that most of the time I can just install the new XP CD (hopefully with SP2 builtin) over the pirated OS and all will survive. But this is never a sure procedure so saving what you can't lose on write protected media is something you do along the way.

Microsoft also provides a procedure to change your registration and cdkey to match your new license. You have to wiegh in if using the OS that came with the laptop is an option here.

Best of luck,

Bob

Collapse -
Forgot the usuall notebook issue.

In reply to: How to get rid of IE viruses AdClicker-BW and Reg/Seeker

Collapse -
How do I get rid of AdClicker-BW;Reg/Seeker;StartPage-EF....

In reply to: Forgot the usuall notebook issue.

Thanks for the info. FYI: I originally had Windows 98 and installed the ME upgrade; both of which I had to eliminate by wiping my hard drive clean due to a previous virus issue.

In addition, I found 3 other viruses are in my system; NTRootKit-H; StartPage-EF and AdClicker-BM.

Collapse -
That's terrible.

In reply to: How do I get rid of AdClicker-BW;Reg/Seeker;StartPage-EF....

Can you reveal why you think such found their way onto your machine?

No antivirus?

Bob

Collapse -
NTRootKit-H;StartPage-EF;AdClicker-BW;AdClicker-BM;etc.....

In reply to: That's terrible.

I'm not sure of the specific source of the viruses, however, I use an updated version of McAfee which detects the viruses and deletes the files, but the viruses still exist somewhere and seem to be launched every time I open IE. I'm in the process of installing and using several adware removers, per your previous suggestion and will advise as to their success/failure. Thanks again.

Collapse -
you might also want to note

In reply to: NTRootKit-H;StartPage-EF;AdClicker-BW;AdClicker-BM;etc.....

the exact name of the viruses and where you AV determines they are located i.e a file path.

Collapse -
Trojan and other viruses....

In reply to: you might also want to note

Thanks for the info. I've run Ad-Aware and its found the problems lie in the registry. It's been some time since I've accessed that...refresh me on how to access it please. I wrote down the ones to delete. Ad-Aware seems incapable of getting rid of all of them.

Collapse -
Here is a good tutorial of

In reply to: Trojan and other viruses....

Collapse -
Viruses, and other issues

In reply to: Here is a good tutorial of

Thank you to everyone for your help. I was able to rid myself of these viruses through several different adware and spyware program installations. However now I have another issue with an lsass.exe shutdown. Anyway, I want to wipe my computer clean and start over with a licensed operating system. See my message in the Windows XP forum. Thanks again.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) You're welcome and good luck.

In reply to: Viruses, and other issues

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.