Storage forum

General discussion

How to get new "Maxtor SATA 200GB" to work as external

by manololoc / February 13, 2006 4:31 AM PST

This is the deal, I have a laptop and I need a decent transfer rate of moving files from my laptop to an external hardrive---A RELIABLE one. I personally do not like the "one touch" basis hardrives. I just want a clunky regular hardrive doing its job in an external enclosure. So I was reading some stuff and I ran into this "Maxtor SATA 200GB 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive with PCI Card Bundle" Question?....Is there any possible way of getting this baby to work as an external hardrive?...connection types?...Convertions?...some suggestions as to an equal or better hardrive are welcome...

thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to get new "Maxtor SATA 200GB" to work as external
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to get new "Maxtor SATA 200GB" to work as external
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Maybe....
by VAPCMD / February 13, 2006 8:01 AM PST

but no matter how fast the external drive is...SATA-PATA or whatever ... it's still using the USB or perhaps Firewire interface. Therein lies the speed limiting factor...480Mbp/s.

From my perspective ... I'd rather choose a drive that matches my storage needs, capacity and speed, with a decent warranty and match it with a good quality USB 2.0 external case than worry about the fastest drive that won't go any faster than the USB bus will let it.
No point spending more for an SATA drive with a max of 3.0Gbp/s over a system that maxes out at 480Mbp/s. Just not too many choices for good quality external enclosures using the SATA interface yet.

Regards,
VAPCMD

Collapse -
My solution was VERY simple!
by itsreallyme99 / April 26, 2009 8:13 AM PDT

I actaully have the same 200gb SATA Maxtor drive previously installed in an XP machine. When I put it into a USB enclosure, Vista would not recognize it. In my case, I was plugging it into a usb hub. Plugging it directly into the computer usb port solved it for me.

Collapse -
(NT) Might be too late...the original post was from 2006.
by VAPCMD / April 26, 2009 10:01 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?