General discussion

how to freeze top row of excel worksheet

Apr 4, 2004 11:24PM PDT

I just can't seem to find the instructions to freeze the top row of my spreadsheet to keep from losing the headinge when I scrl. the sheet.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: how to freeze top row of excel worksheet
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: how to freeze top row of excel worksheet
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Look above the slider bar on the right side of screen
Apr 4, 2004 11:48PM PDT

Right above the UP ARROW there is a small bar. Drag that bar down to freeze any row or rows that you wish to freeze. The same works for the columns using the small bar to the right of the bottom slider.

- Collapse -
(addendum) You can only drag it down after hovering for a second
Apr 4, 2004 11:50PM PDT

and when the cursor changes to a double sided arrow.

- Collapse -
That was Easy!
Jul 22, 2011 7:55AM PDT

I could remember the Lotus 123 command but not the excel one - maybe I never knew it in the first place!?

s
- Collapse -
Re:how to freeze top row of excel worksheet
Apr 6, 2004 7:46AM PDT

If you prefer using the menu above dragging things (I do), this is how to do it:
- Select cell A2
- In the menu bar choose Window>Block Titles (sorry, this is translated from the Dutch, and I assume it's something different in fact - but I'm sure you'll find it; in Excel 97 it's number 6, right under Split).

If you've located what Excel calls it (I'm sure it's not 'freeze top row') you'll be able to find it in the Help.

Everything up-left the selected cell is 'frozen'. Try C3, and you'll see how it works.

Hope this helps.

Kees

- Collapse -
Re:Re:how to freeze top row of excel worksheet
Apr 7, 2004 6:39AM PDT

this comes (slightly edited)directly from the instructions in Excel 2002

View two parts of a sheet by FREEZING PANES

Freezing panes allows you to select data that remains visible when scrolling in a sheet. For example, keeping row and column labels visible as you scroll.

You can freeze either...
**Rows
**Columns
**Rows & Columns:

To freeze a pane, do one of the following 3 options:

ROWS(top horizontal pane): Select (highlight) the row below where you want the split to appear.

COLUMNS(left vertical pane): Select the column to the right of where you want the split to appear.

ROWS & COLUMNS: (Both the upper and left panes) Click the cell below and to the right of where you want the split to appear.

On the Window menu, click Freeze Panes.

(Note: you can also "SPLIT" the window panes which gives you a little different result than FREEZING).

CNET Forums

Forum Info