Question

How to fix thick purple bars, 2015 12" macbook

Thick purple bars when screen is at certain angles, normal at other angles. 2015 12 inch MacBook retina is showing thick purple bars on the screen when it is at certain positions/angles and is showing normal screen at other positions/angles. Rebooting and clearing NVRAM does not change it. The issues seems highly sensitive to the position of the screen, what angle it is at. Everything else is functioning properly(keyboard, mouse, internet..etc) as far as I can tell. Here is a link to a picture and video of the issue.

https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/572928/Thick+purple+bars+when+screen+is+at+certain+angles,+normal+other+angle

Discussion is locked
Answer
Follow
Reply to: How to fix thick purple bars, 2015 12" macbook
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: How to fix thick purple bars, 2015 12" macbook
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
If it works at some angles.

Then it is either the video cable or the connections at that cable or on the board.

This is NOT an unknown issue. Louis Rossmann may have a video on these parts and areas. HOWEVER the average owner is just that. Get repair estimates since most don't want to become a computer repair tech.

- Collapse -
Thanks for the quick reply!

Hey
The screen does indeed seem to work almost perfectly at certain angles. There is still an almost imperceptible flicker when normal which appears where one of the purple bars would be. I believe the 2015 12" macbooks have a lcd to board connector that can be replaced unlike the 13 inch macbooks. How much could I expect to pay for the repair assuming it is what you say? If I shipped it to Louis? I love his videos and have already taken a look at his website.

- Collapse -
If I had this issue.

What I would do is get him to tell me my next move. I don't work for him but you do see the cost once in a while mentioned in the videos and it's a fraction of what Apple will charge.

As I don't work there please call and see what they say.

- Collapse -
(NT) Will do, thanks!

CNET Forums