Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

How to fix IE6?

by grandpaw7 / October 6, 2004 5:19 PM PDT

I can't use IE6 to go to http://support.microsoft.com bcause it won't open the text in most of the support items it contains. It will show the title but the text never appears.

So I tried IEFIX. I got a Files Needed message taht IEEXPLORER.EXE on Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 1 CD is needed. It then asks me to provide the path where the file is located.

I really didn't know what to do. I went to Search to look for IEExplorer.EXE and it said the file was in C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer, and also it listed C:\Windows\Prefetch. I put in the first pathway as C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEEXPLORER.EXE. And I tried the XP installation CD I have. I tried something else but I can't remember what. Anyhow, at some point I got a Copy Error taht Setup cannot copy the file DHTMLED.OCX. Again, I don't remember what I did but I got a message that FixIt had completed its task, or something like that. I still couldn't get to the ms support sites. So I got FIxit back and clicked the message "For Windows XP, click here to enable re-installation of IE". I got a message asking if I wanted to go to the IE installation site and I said yes. There, I was given the choice between downloading and getting the CD and I bought the CD. Then I shut down.

When I just booted up, I got a message that IE had ben removed from my computer and asking if I wanted to remove the settings I had. I said yes, not really knowing what I was doing. But then I found IE is still on my computer. But I still can't get to the ms support sites.

I realize that the best advice is to sell my computer and get a typewriter but with the used computer market being surfeited, I hesitate to do that. And anyhow, I couldn't use my new monitor with a typewriter. At least, I don't think I could.

I thought I'd leave things be till that IE CD comes in and then remove IE and reinstall it. But maybe there is something else I should try?

To newbies trying IEFIX: it ain't all necessarily downhill.

grandpaw

P.s. When I ran IEFIX, I didh't skip running SFC or reinstalling from ie.inf. Should I have skipped these?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to fix IE6?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to fix IE6?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: How to fix IE6?
by grandpaw7 / October 6, 2004 5:29 PM PDT
In reply to: How to fix IE6?

I would like for this thread to be of use to Newbies who have need to use IEFIX. So maybe someone could chime in on what the Newbie who goes to IEFIX should do about the two options to skip. And perhaps about problems such as I had. When someone says, just do the IEFIX thing, it sounds nice and simple. The only time my computer becomes nice and simple is when its turned off. And even then its kind of scary.

Collapse -
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 7, 2004 12:39 AM PDT

Grandpaw,

Assuming you're talking about your Windows XP machine (you didn't tell us), then the best bet is to wait until you get the IE CD, although if you follow the instructions at the link below, you should be able to repair and reinstall IE 6. You will need the Windows XP CD though.:

How to Reinstall or Repair Internet Explorer and Outlook Express in Windows XP

In regards to running IEFix, you did the correct thing by running SFC, etc. It's not that complicated. Simply run what is indicated.

ON the other hand, if you haven't installed Service Pack 2 on the computer, installing SP2 should update and repair Internet Explorer 6.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
by billzhills / October 7, 2004 12:55 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?