General discussion

How to Find someone to Design a New Website

Hello. I'm a beginning Pattern designer who is developing patterns for sale in quilt shops and on the web. I have to get a website up and running so that quilt shop owners can log in to place orders. My website will need an ability for people to use a shopping cart and pay for their orders.

What is the best way to find someone who knows how to set up the site and all the components of it?

I had an IT person who sat with me to talk about what I want but I'm not sure if he's going to move forward fast enough to get me up and running in time.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: How to Find someone to Design a New Website
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: How to Find someone to Design a New Website
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Just wondering.

Isn't such a site easy today with godaddy and other web hosts which you can set up shops like this in a few hours?

I do find some want to craft it from scratch but isn't that the old way of setting up shop?
Bob

- Collapse -

It's entirely possible it's not that difficult at all. My problem is I need to focus my time on pattern development/creation and not on firguring out how to put up a website. So, I'm willing to pay someone who knows what they're doing. I don't have a ton of money so would rather find someone who's experienced so I'm not paying for their learning time. The problem is I don't know where to start to know who I'm hiring or where to find someone experienced??

- Collapse -
You're right.

But beware those that want to code this up today. You have godaddy, amazon marketplace and the list goes on and on. If they can't get your shop up in a few hours you know that they are doing this the old fashioned way or YOU have asked to do something that is going to cost you a lot more than you expected.

I suggest you look again at the godaddy and such systems because you should be able to get your site working in hours.
Bob

- Collapse -
I think that depends on your needs...

There is a time for custom development and there's a time to use a service that already has everything established for you to use.

Also, your theory that finding someone experienced will be cheaper is not quite correct. A beginner may charge a lot less, but it will take them longer. A professional will charge a lot more, but get things done much sooner. The question then becomes: How fast do you need it?

If you were to use a service like R. Proffitt suggested, then you could hire a beginner and explain that this is what you want. Those are pretty self-explanatory to setup, you're just paying them to do it.

There are also sites like this: http://www.elance.com/p/landing/buyerA2.html You can explain your project and users will bid on it. You can see a user's reviews to ensure that they are any good.

~Sovereign

- Collapse -
Thanks Sovereign

Thanks - that's a good suggestion. It's not an easy decision to make. I have been doing some research and I almost get more confused the more I read and learn. Confused as in, more options, etc. Anyway, I'll take a look at the site you suggest. Cyndi

CNET Forums

Forum Info