Phones forum

General discussion

How to find NORMAL ringtones

I just got a Nokia 6102 to replace a phone I've had for a few years. I think I must be crazy but I can't seem to find a selection of just normal sounding ringtones. My phone must be heard over loud truck noise and really don't feel like hearing Young Jeezy or Black Eye peas ringtones, I'm 39 years old!! Please, please if anyone can help. I can't believe they have like 8000 ringtones on Cingular's site but nothing that just rings!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to find NORMAL ringtones
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to find NORMAL ringtones
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
try

In reply to: How to find NORMAL ringtones

use your preloaded cingular and nokia tones that came on the phone

Collapse -
Does anyone know where to find business tones for cellphone?

In reply to: try

I am aware of the tones preinstalled on the phone. What I can't seem to find is a ringtone that sounds like a normal cell phone ring. I don't want the music tones. On Cingular's site I can find every hiphop and pop song ever made, toilets flushing, chainsaws, racecars, babies crying, etc... but not a normal ring. I guess I am the only one that doesn't want ''Im in love wit a stripper'' to be my ringtone in church????

Collapse -
dont get angry about it

In reply to: Does anyone know where to find business tones for cellphone?

yea ok..a normal ring.. i just checked cingulars site and there are no "normal" sounding tones. does your phone have a voice recorder?? if it does, record the sound of your landline phone as it rings. then set the recording as your ringtone. its ghetto but its free...and about your church arguement. turn the freakin phone on silent when in church. if youre 39 years old, you should have the balls to know that a cell phone ringing in church is a sin

Collapse -
Ummm......

In reply to: dont get angry about it

Was TOTALLY joking due to frustration, not even remotely close to angry. Of course my phone doesn't go off in church, it was meant to make a point Happy (and my balls are also aware of the need for silence in church by the way...)

It just seems bizarre to me that there are not more normal tones available to people. I guess I never thought much about it before I ventured out to find a ringtone and could only find "Miss New Booty" type of ringtones. I will have to try to record a ghetto ring and see how it works. I just thought there might be some clandestine spot on the web for old people to get normal tones, now I officially have a "when I was a young man, cell phones made normal rings" story to aggravate my children with. Thanks!

Collapse -
change phones

In reply to: Ummm......

if you cant find anything..modern motorola phones have the classic ring tone.. its what youre looking for..you can just buy the phone outright and put your sim card in it

Collapse -
Funny you should say that...

In reply to: change phones

I did have a RAZR for a week and took it back because it sounded horrible and seemed like it made a different noise every time I touched it. After the 6th or 7th person said "whats the matter with your phone?", I brought it back. Where the Cingular guy proceeded to lose all my SIM card numbers and then said that he didn't do it, the phone did it and that it also happened to another girl that worked there with a RAZR. Don't know if that is true but the level of frustration is getting funny at this point, I'm starting to feel like an old man at a wedding who puts the microphone to his ear to talk to the bride and groom. Totally technically uncool.

Collapse -

In reply to: Funny you should say that...

no clue whats thats all about

Collapse -
You're saying buy a new phone just for the ring?

In reply to: ...................

That would be one expensive ringtone!

Collapse -
or

In reply to: You're saying buy a new phone just for the ring?

if the phone has a voice recorder...record the sound of a landline phone as it rings. but all modern motorolas have a "classic" ringtone

Collapse -
''business tones...''

In reply to: or

first time I've heard this expression. ironic that now we have to pay extra to get something normal

Collapse -
Thank you!

In reply to: ''business tones...''

I'm just happy to know its not just frustrating to me. My wife got sick of hearing about it and went to Ebay and found my old phone. So now I have to officially "shutupaboutyourstupidphone", gotta love her!

Collapse -
Phones with a normal ringtone.

In reply to: change phones

I am looking for a phone to purchase with a normal ringtone. Which one is best and where can I purchase it? I am stuck in a 2 year contract so I do not need a service plan just a phone that has a normal ringtone.
Any advice?

Collapse -
do moto

In reply to: Phones with a normal ringtone.

get a motorola. no matter what carrier it is, all motorolas have a classic tone

Collapse -
"classic" tone?

In reply to: do moto

I am unclear as to what a "classic" tone is. I have a recent LG that has a lot of ring tones, most seriously irritating, but a few sound like a phone ringing -- one actually sounds like a real "classic phone" -- you know, the one with the dial?

Collapse -
Now that would be annoying

In reply to: "classic" tone?

The old 'bell' ringer was about as loud and obnoxious as any ringtone I've ever heard

Collapse -
I feel your pain

same thing happened to me. i can't stand all that jive-turkey crap. i wish someone would make a phone that rings like a phone and can hold a decent signal! wow, what a novel idea.

anyway, i had to search all over creation for a simple "ring ring" ringtone. even then, i had to pay about $6.99 for 250 different "business" tones. of those 250 i got ONE that is a plain jane ring. i'd email it to you if you can somehow get me your email address.

Collapse -
Weird...

In reply to: I feel your pain

Wow. I had no idea that some models weren't pre-loaded with "regular" ringtones. That's freakin' weird. Why in the world would they exclude a traditional "ring ring" tone?

Collapse -
Thanks

In reply to: I feel your pain

Thanks for the offer, I appreciate it. But my wife found a new version of my old phone so I'm happy about that but a little aggravated that normal tones are not more readily available for new phones, very frustrating.

Collapse -
I can imagine the feeling.

In reply to: How to find NORMAL ringtones

Someone pointed me to a site called telephone-ringtones. They have a limited collection (5) of 'normal' ringtones.

The official price is an outrageous $1.50. But if you happen to have free Audacity (or any other sound recorder, even the standard one that comes with Windows will do) installed you can play the sound and record it totally free. Use the right converter to convert it to the format your phone needs (Audacity can make mp3's).

Kees

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.