General discussion

How to fill screen fully?? Non HD chanels do not fill

Hello Everyone -

Thank you for taking time to assist. It is appreciated. How do I get my screen to fill completely with non HD channels? My HD Channels fill the screen completely, but the Non-HD channels only fill the middle, leaving a lot of BLACK all around the picture. It is very frustrating to have a big tv with a little picture in the middle. I just recently purchased the UN55C7000WF and so far have been very pleased with the performance and picture. Any assistance you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: How to fill screen fully?? Non HD chanels do not fill
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: How to fill screen fully?? Non HD chanels do not fill
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
How to fill screen fully?? Non HD chanels do not fill

If you are using a cable or satellite box you need to adjust the settings there.

For example, on a standard Comcast cable box you need to power on the box. Press the red Menu button which will bring up a menu with choices on HD resolution and what to do about SD channels. Options should include 480 and stretch. If you want the SD channels to fill your screen to need to choose stretch.

Press the Menu button after making your selection and now power on your cable box. Go to an SD channel and the image should completely fill the screen.

- Collapse -
Correction

Sorry, just noticed I said, "power on the box," when you actually need to power off the box and then press the red Menu button to get into the menu.

- Collapse -
Correction

mperson9,

I appreciate you jumping in on this. Happy

In some cases, the 4:3 picture is broadcasted inside of a 16x9. While it would be clear cut that settings are off if there are black lines around all four sides of the screen, some SD channels are still broadcast in 16x9 WITH the black bars. This would require a zoom feature, but doing so would cut off the top and bottom.

Here's an example of a 4:3 broadcast in 16x9. The broadcaster was nice enough to put the station identifier in the black boxes on the side, but not all do that. When they do that, the image won't automatically stretch, and there's not much you can do to adjust it, except zoom with the result pointed out above.

http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp60/samsung_hd_tech/stretch3.jpg

Since stations can opt to broadcast the way they want, it may require adjusting the picture size for different channels on occasion.

Does that help?

--HDTech

- Collapse -
Yes...

Yup, the picture you have supplied is on an HD channel but an SD broadcast.

- Collapse -
Yes... -

mperson9,

Unfortunately, it throws a lot of people off. Watching the SD broadcast of that channel provides a full screen auto-stretch (which I actually don't prefer, but that's a personal preference).

Again, appreciate your recent contributions in this and other threads. Thanks. Happy

--HDTech

- Collapse -
(NT) Not answered
- Collapse -
Not answered correctly

I have the same issue. The program is in 16:9 format but there is black ALL AROUND the picture making it very small. It is NOT a 4:3 picture with black bars on ether side. Zooming in results in a washed out picture. All HD channels fill the screen and about half the SD channels fill the screen.

- Collapse -
Be aware that this thread is over 5 years old.

This means the products and answers will change. Please top post your question in a new post along with product model numbers and the issue.

In the USA you can call 1800SAMSUNG or use the chat at Samsung.com for faster answers.

Because this thread is now outdated, it's closing now.

CNET Forums

Forum Info