Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

How to extend a public access point all over my house?

by awadj / June 28, 2008 8:08 AM PDT

I don't have an internet connection.
There are several weak public signals in my neighborhood.
I have to sit right next to a window with my laptop to pick one up.

I want to do 2 things:
1. Boost the public signal
2. Rebroadcast the signal throughout my house to allow access for multiple laptops from anywhere in the house.

I don't want to buy a usb directional antenna for my laptop. I would like to get an antenna for a wireless extender or a bridge to rebroadcast the stronger signal. But Alas I'm told I have to have access to their wireless router...

Any help? Hawking has no answers.

thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to extend a public access point all over my house?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to extend a public access point all over my house?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
So why not a WIFI client and a WAP?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 28, 2008 8:15 AM PDT

I'm going to decline defining what these things are as you can use google. But armed with a WIFI client on that window I can plug a WAP into that. A router can be substituted for the WAP. Again, given you have search engines I won't define or explain what these are but that you can solve it with one of each.
Bob

Collapse -
huh?
by awadj / June 28, 2008 8:31 AM PDT

sorry to be so daft...I have two wifi clients: the one with Windows XP and network solutions.
As far as plugging WAP into it I have no idea what you mean - Wireless Application Protocal?

What device and in what order?

Collapse -
Keep researching.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 28, 2008 8:44 AM PDT
In reply to: huh?

Since you can use a router in place of a WAP and these are easy to find here's a client since you didn't find one -> http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_Product_C2&childpagename=US%2FLayout&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper&cid=1134692497433

So it's a snap from that device to the WAN port of your router in your home. Again I don't teach this stuff here. But there is plenty of web pages if you need to become a networking guru.

The problem I've found is that if one is cheap enough to use public wifi they usually will not want to buy these two devices. Maybe you'll want to do this? It's a snap to setup.
Bob

Collapse -
I have a Hawking bridge...
by awadj / June 28, 2008 8:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Keep researching.

I'm not that cheap. Just trying to avoid the crappy service and price $65/month of Hotwire communications. It's extortion and only gives 56-128k bandwidth for $65/month. No other options in my building. No others allowed - so I need to pick from the neighborhood.

I bought this WAP:
http://www.hawkingtech.com/products/productlist.php?CatID=19&FamID=82&ProdID=277

but was told by hawking it won't connect and rebroadcast a public signal unless I have access to their router - which I dont.

I set it up, saw the signal, selected it and connected. No problem. Then connected from my laptop to the WAP and connected.

But no IP address... couldn't get to the internet. Two different techs told me the same thing that I couldn't do what I wanted to.

Thoughts?

Collapse -
Now take that ...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 28, 2008 9:06 AM PDT

And plug the ethernet into some wifi router. The Hawking can be put where it gets the best signal.

"Wireless-G Ethernet Bridge Mode" should be the proper setup. You may have to find a friend to go over what was done wrong for this not to work. Often I find gaffes such as manually assigned addresses, the laptop wifi is still on, etc.
Bob

Collapse -
cool - will give it a shot - bridge to router to laptop
by awadj / June 28, 2008 9:12 AM PDT
In reply to: Now take that ...

I'll see if I can get the hawking tech to help with the connection to the router.

Last question, will the router need to get an IP address from somewhere? Usually the router gets it's ip via DHCP from Comcast or the provider and hands out another to my laptop. In this case it can not correct? Then what?

Collapse -
WAP
by Phil Crase / June 28, 2008 10:04 AM PDT
In reply to: huh?

Wireless access point, another piece of hardware that looks physically similar to your router, needs an ethernet input. Something else you can use for signal expansion would be range extenders which plug into AC power (wall plug) to boost router signal in a weak area(s).As R.Proffitt said, do a Google search on wireless networking and you will find a lot of information that will probably help. Good luck!!

Collapse -
Recap.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 28, 2008 10:33 AM PDT

You own a wifi client device now. I'd focus on getting that working with your laptop. This is what I'd do first as that needs to work before I connect it to the router's WAN port and begin setting that up next.

Halfway there.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?