Question

How to erase hard drive without deleting os

i do not have a disc or back up for os and would like to erase everything but the os.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: How to erase hard drive without deleting os
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: How to erase hard drive without deleting os
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
So far
- Collapse -
Answer
Possible options

I don't know which OS you have but, your query isn't going to be done if at all. Plainly put, it just doesn't work well or results are lackluster. Don't fall for any s/w that claims this, I really can't recommend anything such as you want. You could however make or create recovery discs if you have Vista or Win7, the process is present to do this. If you have XP, this is more complicated and generally I wouldn't say it really does it from MS sources. Any windoze OS can be safely back-up or generate an image in order to make a back-up which would be a restore/recovery of current setup. Google for back-up process and s/w that provides this.

However, you can buy or replace your OS if you have OEM or DIY type system. An OEM is any system build by the likes of Dell, Gateway, etc., contact them as possible source or restore/recovery discs for some cost. There are s/w services which provide replacement discs for OEM type PCs. You can of course buy original or full retail type OS from online *trusted* vendors or use eBay, Craigslist or local shops. Below is a source of OS generic or DIY type OS installs:

http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=368&name=Operating-Systems

Google away for other vendors.

http://www.restoredisks.com <---OEM type discs

tada -----Willy Happy

CNET Forums