Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

Question

How to download rkill to desktop?

by gswarrior / June 25, 2012 2:31 AM PDT

I have security shield virus and need to copy rkill and malwarebytes on a clean computer and copy them to cd and then install them on my infected computer and run them. Please help? Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to download rkill to desktop?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to download rkill to desktop?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Removing Security Shield..
by Carol~ Moderator / June 25, 2012 4:49 AM PDT

gswarrior..

If you follow the below instructions "to the letter', it should allow you to remove Security Shield from your system. It explains how to use Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and the Rkill tool.

First read:.

Remove Security Shield 2012 or SecurityShield (Uninstall Guide)

Scroll down to where you see "Automated Removal Instructions for Security Shield 2012 using Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware:" and start from there. Pay close attention to the bold print in Step #9.

• IF per chance it's "My Security Shield" instead, see "Remove My Security Shield (Uninstall Guide)" The screenshots of the two should enable you to determine which one it is. Removal instructions are very similar.

• These links explain all you need to know about the use of the Rkill tool:

RKill - What it does and What it Doesn't - A brief introduction to the program
Rkill Download Center

If you run into any problems, or have any questions, please do not hesitate to post back and ask.

Best of luck..
Carol

Collapse -
SECURITY SHIELD REMOVAL
by gswarrior / June 25, 2012 8:37 AM PDT

Thanks Carol, I have reached step #23 and do not understand how or what to do? It says we now need to delete the C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\Hosts file Please explain? Thanks again Carol

Collapse -
Are you able to find it?
by Carol~ Moderator / June 26, 2012 9:25 AM PDT

gswarrior..

Some of your prior posts, indicate Vista to be your operating system. Whether it's the case, I don't know. You failed to provide the information. Is it that you can't find the Hosts file? It may be because it's hidden.

See: How to see hidden files in Windows Vista

I don't know how else to explain it, short of telling you to navigate to the C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\HOSTS file. Delete the HOSTS file. Your ultimate goal is to download the (appropriate) file and place it in the C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc folder. If it's Vista, you would select "Windows Vista HOSTS File Download Link". Is the problem with downloading the file? What happens when you try?

If you ran the batch file to fix the permissions, see if "How can I reset the Hosts file back to the default?" is easier for you.

Also see: Changing your hosts file in Vista

It would help to know if it is Vista, or another. And also what specific problem/s you encounter.
Carol

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?