Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

How to download faster with firefox defualt download manager

by Megaherz / July 18, 2008 2:46 PM PDT

I was looking at some of the settings in about:config in firefox 3.01 and wondering what some of the setting meant in the lines of browser.download section and wondered if there were any tweaks to increase the download rate of anything you wish to download from a site. I'm not looking for improvments that exceed what a website can accomedate but if its even possible to tweak the download maneger in order to create more connections to the site or break the download into sections that later can be put back together.
Thank you,
Ricky

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to download faster with firefox defualt download manager
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to download faster with firefox defualt download manager
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What I use is
by PudgyOne / July 18, 2008 8:12 PM PDT

Flashget as my download manager.

I also use Flashgot add-on with Mozilla Firefox. I always use Flashget to download my files. It downloads from multiple downloads. I also have Flashget scan the download with Avast so I am guaranteed the download is not corrupt.

Rick

Collapse -
Thank you
by Megaherz / July 19, 2008 6:33 AM PDT
In reply to: What I use is

I was hoping to see if anybody knew of any tweaks i can do in about:config in Firefox to modify the way the download manager worked and if it would better the download rate or what it would do exactly.

Thank you, Ricky

Collapse -
clarify
by Megaherz / October 12, 2008 3:04 PM PDT
In reply to: What I use is

I want to see if there is any type of setting in the firefox browser were i can get more connections to a server when downloading a file so i can get multiple streams and then bring them together at the end to make for a faster downloading experience.

Collapse -
Using about:config...
by John.Wilkinson / October 13, 2008 1:54 AM PDT
In reply to: clarify

Type about:config into your address bar and then filter/look for the following entries:

network.http.max-connections
network.http.max-connections-per-server
network.http.max-persistent-connections-per-proxy

You can double-lick the entry to modify it, but keep in mind that many sites limit the number of simultaneous connections a single IP address can have and your ISP only provides so much bandwidth, so your download speed may not noticeably increase.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
Edit about:config still works in 2013
by gscottj / May 29, 2013 6:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Using about:config...

Just wanted to let people know that editing Firefox's about:config still works.

I changed the value for network.http.max-persistent-connections-per-server from 2 to 4 and was then able to download 4 different files simultaneously from the same server.

thanks
Scott

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?