Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

How to download AVG etc FIRST before OS etc Updates

by NorthBeachnik / May 7, 2010 12:48 AM PDT

My laptop had to be wiped clean due to an insidious Trojan that snuck past AVG, Malbytes Anti-Malware, etc. The laptop is an HP 9200 series and is between two and three years old, Vista 32bit, Windows Service Pack 1 3MG memory. Offline I've customized some settings. But the computer is now at factory settings with horribly oudated OS, drivers, Java (6!), MS Office Suite, etc. with all kinds of security risks that need patching.

Here's my question: When I first go online (broadband but not the fastest), I want to download AVG, Malbytes and Secunia. But I know from past experience the laptop will fight me and download updates to the OS, MS Office Suite, Java, etc. What do I do to guarantee that I can get my security programs running before updating everything else for security?

Or should I just give up since there's so much to update and Windows and other updates will be first in line...and just go with the awful Norton Security that came with the laptop - of course, that is outdated by 2+ years and I hate Norton because it slows everything down.

Any suggestions on how to proceed? I'd like to make this HP laptop secure and get everything updated starting later today.

Thanks in advance for advice!

Alex

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to download AVG etc FIRST before OS etc Updates
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to download AVG etc FIRST before OS etc Updates
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: How to Download AVG before OS Updates
by Carol~ Forum moderator / May 7, 2010 3:24 AM PDT

NB..

You wrote, "What do I do to guarantee that I can get my security programs running before updating everything else for security?". Unless I've misunderstood your intentions, is there any reason you can't download AVG (with a manaul update file) to a flash drive or CD, using another computer? Then transfer it your laptop and install them while offline?

I presume you're referring to Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware Pro version, which runs in real-time. It can also be installed in the above manner, if you wish to have both installed before attempting to go online.

I would also suggest downloading and using the Norton Removal Tool, before before installing AVG.

Best of luck..
Carol

Collapse -
Norton Deleted! AVG On Board
by NorthBeachnik / May 7, 2010 8:00 AM PDT

Thanks, Carol! I couldn't transfer AVG via a flash drive or CD because the only other computer I have access to has non-working USB ports and a DVD drive that is also DOA.

Anyway, Norton is history thanks to the Norton Removal Tool. AVG has been downloaded. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is next. Then I'll download SUPER Anti-Spyware, CCleaner and a defragger.

Collapse -
(NT) You're welcome, Alex. Good luck with the remainder!
by Carol~ Forum moderator / May 7, 2010 8:24 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.