HolidayBuyer's Guide

PC Applications forum

General discussion

How to download a REAL FREE Winzip

by Allwyna / November 29, 2009 8:50 AM PST

hello,

First, I typed my message, and when I did "preview" it just disappeared :(((. So I am going to do it again, maybe shorter!

I used to have ZinZip 10 in another computer that crashed. I want to download a free version of winzip. You offer 11.2, but it seems impossible to download it. I am not interested in ver 14, since I use Win XP. could you please tell me how to do? I am a registered member of CNET.

I am not sure I am at the right place, I hope you will redirect my message.

Thank you very much

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to download a REAL FREE Winzip
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to download a REAL FREE Winzip
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
you can use WinMount to Mount file
by lichongjiao1 / November 29, 2009 2:13 PM PST
Collapse -
(NT) Why not just use WinXP ?
by VAPCMD / November 29, 2009 7:21 PM PST
Collapse -
Re: Winzip
by Kees Bakker / November 29, 2009 7:26 PM PST

There's no free version of Winzip. But there are many free alternatives, like 7Zip or Tugzip.

And, of course, as VAPCMD already said, zipping and unzipping is a native function of Windows XP (called 'compressed folders'). So the first question is: do you need a separate zipping program?

Kees

Collapse -
How to download a REAL FREE Winzip
by Allwyna / November 30, 2009 6:48 AM PST
In reply to: Re: Winzip

"do you need a separate zipping program?" Maybe not....

But I HAD a free Winzip (I think, or was it registered? not sure, since my other computer crashed) it was version 10

Thanks to all

Collapse -
Winzip
by pcbear / December 9, 2009 1:18 AM PST

Try 7Zip

Collapse -
How about
by DADSGETNDOWN / December 10, 2009 8:30 AM PST

Using 7-Zip Portable, OR you can install a local version, (on the hard drive like any other program) but portable put it on a flash drive and take it with you anywhere, all computers running Win Xp or newer can use them plug and play nothing to install, and usually leaves no traces on the computer you use it on, (or right from your desktop or documents, Ipod, CD/DVD and run it from there.
http://portableapps.com/apps
Scroll down top the Utilities section, real easy to do.
It is WAY more efficient than Winzip.
http://www.7-zip.org scroll down and look at the compression comparisons and read the little paragraph at the bottom.
You can also down load it from here at cnet, download.com and see just how popular it is, how many are downloading it and all that, but my recommendation is to go the the 7Z website if you want a local install, or portableapps.com if you want the portable version.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.