Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

How to (do things to) organize Bookmarks in Firefox 3

by royeo / August 19, 2008 4:17 PM PDT

I have Windows XP Pro, sp3.

In Firefox 2, doing things to your Bookmarks was apparently much more intuitive than in 3. In Firefox 3, there is seemingly no way to do things. In IE 7 there is a button in "Organize Favorites" to rename a Favorite but I can't figure out how to do it in Firefox 3. In IE 7 there are also buttons for "New Folder", "Move" and "Delete." I originally started this because I couldn't figure out how to rename a Bookmark. Now I know there is other stuff that I used to know how to do in Firefox 2 but I don't now with 3. Does anyone know how to do these things?

Thanks,

reoneill

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to (do things to) organize Bookmarks in Firefox 3
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to (do things to) organize Bookmarks in Firefox 3
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It is still possible to organize.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 19, 2008 8:57 PM PDT

FF perhaps isn't the easiest to organize bookmarks, but I don't see it is that difficult.

Going to Bookmarks > Organize bookmarks takes you to a new window titled Library. In there you can add new folders, drag and drop folders and files elsewhere, and delete files/folders.

I agree there is no easy way to rename a folder, an oversight on the part of Mozilla I feel, but the workaround is to create your new folder with the name you want, then cut and paste the files/shortcuts from the old folder to the new one. You can even highlight all the file/shortcuts, and drag them to the new folder.

Is that what you mean?

Mark

Collapse -
The reason
by Jimmy Greystone / August 20, 2008 2:18 AM PDT

The reason for this apparent lack of organizational functions for bookmarks in Firefox 3, is because with Firefox 3, bookmarks started being stored in a database instead of an HTML file like bookmarks dating all the way back to the first versions of Netscape Navigator.

Sort of like the shift in focus that Google started with Gmail, search don't sort, Firefox has taken the idea and run with it as well.

One of those features that isn't advertised too well, is that you can add "tags" to bookmarks in Firefox. This can be any bit of text you want. Then, if you start typing in this tag on the address bar, it will present you with a list of all bookmarks that have this tag. Or you can just start typing in the name of some bookmark, and Firefox will search through all of them and start listing all bookmarks that match what you've typed so far. This can be the name of the bookmark, the URL for the bookmark, the tag you gave the bookmark... Just start typing what you want into the address bar and it will pop up. It's not as slow as you might think either. The first search will be a little slow, but after that it should be surprisingly quick.

So basically the emphasis has shifted to searching your bookmarks, not sorting them. You can still sort them manually, it just doesn't work quite the same way as it did before because of the changes made under the hood to how bookmarks are handled. Just right click and you should be able to make new folders, rename bookmarks, and just about everything else you used to be able to do.

Also, your browser cache, history, etc, have also been shifted to a database. So if you've been to some site before, even if you haven't bookmarked it, you can start typing in the name of the site, and you should get listings that match what you've typed. Hit the tab key to move down the listings, and enter to select one, so you don't have to move your hands off the keyboard until the page is loading.

Collapse -
Software to organize bookmarks in firefox
by idaniel_bv / January 20, 2009 7:18 PM PST

You can organize your bookmarks with Advanced URL Catalog a professional bookmark manager compatible with Firefox 3.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!