Computer Help forum

General discussion

How to disable the "flash player update" alert window?

by Magic-wand / March 22, 2011 10:15 AM PDT

How do I get rid of the "Adobe flash player upgrade" popup window? This popup is so annoying and is unnecessary(at least for me). I need to close it every time when it is popup but I want to close it once and for all.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to disable the "flash player update" alert window?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to disable the "flash player update" alert window?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Have you tried
by Jimmy Greystone / March 22, 2011 11:50 AM PDT

Have you tried actually updating Flash? It seems to be one of the latest programs that is being actively exploited on a regular basis, so it's always advisable to have the latest version installed.

Collapse -
Alert?
by MCMalkemus / February 13, 2014 11:22 AM PST
In reply to: Have you tried

Here's my issue with updating from this pop-up window... when I go directly to the official Adobe Flash website, it says my computer is UP TO DATE. So why would I have a pop-up window stating I need an update?

My guess is this pop-up window is an attempt by hackers to break into my system, carte blanche, or better carte noire.

Collapse -
Your Guess is Entirely Possible.. And As Such....
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 13, 2014 12:13 PM PST
In reply to: Alert?

.....There indeed ARE malware popups which imitate Flash Updates. So...you either become completely familiar with the true Flash update mechanism and therefore know which one's are fake, or you turn Flash Updates off entirely within the Flash settings in your Control Pane. Once disabled, (which is what we've done here), you'll still want to check the Flash website for required updates. (You can also check our Spyware, Virus, and Security forum for the updates.)

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Upgrade or update?
by Coryphaeus / March 22, 2011 11:52 AM PDT

I never get pestered for upgrades. I do accept updates as they are available.

Collapse -
Although I Agree With The Others, Have You Seen?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 23, 2011 12:21 AM PDT
Collapse -
New malicious malware
by SittingBuddha / June 21, 2014 12:14 PM PDT

It seems that someone out there has crafted a new Adobe Flash Player image to confuse the general public.
Here is the source address of the offending website. I use Windows 8, 64bit OS. I also use Firefox, Chrome and Opera (primaryily for Facebook only) Browsers.

www.Premiumplayerupdate.com/update-flash-t/

The above shows up after the Adobe Flash Player image. There is also another website address that flashes briefly on before the fake Adobe Flash Player image shows up.

www.Yevin.com

I cannot find the above anywhere on the Web. Premium Player downloads eight malware, and various viruses that target your browser [Opera] to steal everything (and I mean EVERYTHING) It has infected my Opera OS, which I only use for Facebook. It's very irritating to constantly close eight or more tabs and then suffer through it repeatedly restarting over and over. Anyone out there that has found a way to eliminate this monster, please let know.

Thanks.

Note: This post was edited by a forum moderator to remove personal email address on 06/23/2014 at 2:58 PM PT

Collapse -
Not So New.. But It IS Malware...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / June 22, 2014 2:55 AM PDT
In reply to: New malicious malware
Collapse -
best to upgrade
by Nerosas / March 24, 2011 1:59 AM PDT

If you do not upgrade, your system may be more vulnerable to viruses. Also, after upgrading the software works much better.

Collapse -
Grif's has it right again and something else for you . .
by Cursorcowboy / March 26, 2011 11:55 PM PDT

"Settings Manager":

What can I do with the Adobe Flash Player Settings Manager?

Adobe is committed to providing you with options to control SWF or FLV content and applications that run in Adobe Flash Player. The Flash Player Settings Manager lets you manage global privacy settings, storage settings, security settings, and automatic update notification settings by using the following panels:

To specify whether websites must ask your permission before using your camera or microphone, you use the "Global Privacy Settings panel".
To specify the amount of disk space that websites you haven't yet visited can use to store information on your computer, or to prevent websites you haven't yet visited from storing information on your computer, you use the "Global Storage Settings panel".
To view or change your security settings, you use the "Global Security Settings panel".
To specify if and how often Flash Player should check for updated versions, you use the "Global Notifications Settings panel".
To view or change the privacy settings for websites you have already visited, you use the "Website Privacy Settings panel".
To view or change the storage settings for websites you have already visited, or to delete information that any or all websites have already stored on your computer, you use the "Website Storage Settings panel".
To view or change protected media settings, you use the "Protected Content Playback Settings panel".
To view or change peer-assisted networking settings, you use the "Peer-Assisted Networking panel".

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?