Samsung forum

General discussion

How to disable PC Share Manager thumbnail creation?

by tunttune / November 2, 2010 10:12 AM PDT

How to disable PC Share Manager thumbnail creation when refreshing DB? I simply can't share my videos because of this.. the PC share manager hangs on the very first videos being treated. The only solution is to disable the thumbnail creation process or fix the software.. so what I can do?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to disable PC Share Manager thumbnail creation?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to disable PC Share Manager thumbnail creation?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
PC Share Manager
by jw650 / November 2, 2010 10:23 PM PDT

You don't say which version you're using, but I had a similar problem indexing videos and found PCSM was freezing on one particular file (or group of files, I don't remember exactly). I think I changed the shared folders to only index one at a time to help me isolate the problem until I could identify and remove the file.

It's possible you'd be able to tell from the database itself how far the indexing gets before stopping. My thumbnails are stored under C:\Program Files\Samsung\SAMSUNG PC Share Manager\MediaRoot\HDD\Video. [MediaRoot is a hidden folder.]

Collapse -
Seems that...
by tunttune / November 3, 2010 2:42 AM PDT

Renamed the mtn.exe file to disable the thumbnail creation but that doesn't help. It seems that the db refresh procedure still stops at the same spot (about 10 per cent) and the wiselink.exe starts to leak(?) memory.. after 5-10mins it takes over a gigabyte of ram and nothing happens on the progress bar of the db refresh process AND neither at the shared folders (no new mta or mtu or whatever files created in the folders).

My Share Manager version is 4.2

So how to fix this wiselink.exe issue in which the db refreshing "stops" and the wiselink.exe starts to take a huge amount of ram without visibly doing anything? I waited like 20mins and nothing happened after the certain point in the process and the ram usage just kept raising.

Collapse -
There's a bigger problem here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 3, 2010 3:00 AM PDT
In reply to: Seems that...

Since the app is not in full control and uses CODECS that the end user or microsoft installs, the support issue falls out of Samsung's jurisdiction.

--> Would you rather that content have to be encoded to some new standard? That is, the only way to fix the old leaky codec issue is to not use Windows codecs and go proprietary.

What do you think?
Bob

Collapse -
try this ..
by npathania / November 3, 2010 4:18 AM PDT

i believe there is db corruption on the software , look for a folder database and delete the ace files in it . and then delete video0 folder contents .. rename mtn.exe to mtn_old.exe .

now launch the pcshare ... it will hang .. fine .. kill wiselink.exe process and then u see server is off, try this 2 times and the server will be on.

now share the folder and do the refresh .. .this time it will scan again and for the first time it grabs each video file and finds the info in it.. like mkv , vob etc..

it consumes the memory first time.. for my 300gb database around 1.5gb of memory and 30 mins first time..well i have lot of movies and files.

Now it is upto your files if it get struck on some file that will be it.. normally it should mark it unsupported and move on , but u know samsung s/w , written by some poor paid people.

ok -now it is indexed and ace database is ready , next time it will take few mins or so to refresh..

Collapse -
thanks
by tunttune / November 3, 2010 4:54 AM PDT
In reply to: try this ..

Thanks for the reply... I have already renamed the mtn.exe before my second post in this thread. The only thing is that why the share process stops at the ~10% mark and then does absolutely nothing for the next ~20mins. It's odd... but I guess I keep adding the videos one folder at a time to skip this prob. I really think the same way about the dev team of this s/w... poor quality indeed. Where is the "if bad file -> next file" part of the scan algorithm? Sheesh...

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?