Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

How to disable firewall ??

by wc_privateer / May 30, 2004 2:35 AM PDT

I'm trying to help a friend set up a wireless shared DSL internet connection using Microsoft Broadband networking. There is a Base Station that goes between the DSL modem and the network card on the desktop, and a PCMCIA card that goes in the laptop to receive the signal from the Base Station. When I get to the point during software setup when it tries to setup up the base station I get an error message that says it cannot communicate with the Base Station and that I need to either disable any firewall running or reset the Base Station (I have reset the Base Station several times). I cannot seem to disable the firewall.
The desktop computer is a Dell Dimension XPS T700r with 700 Mhz, 80 Gig Hd, 128 Meg Ram, Windows XP Home.
I just finished wiping the HD and reinstalling Windows and all other software, setting up the wireless broadband was the last step. The computer is running Norton Antivirus which I disabled in msconfig. I tried to go into Start | Control Panel | Network Connections and disable any firewall there (The status line doesn't show any firewall, btw) but I can't get into the settings for the connection because it says it wont permit access. I do have administrator privileges.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Tom

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to disable firewall ??
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to disable firewall ??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:How to disable firewall ??
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 30, 2004 4:37 AM PDT

If I click, Start, Help and Support, then enter ICF
The first item tells how.

BUT I'm unsure if this is your issue. The install of XP would not include Norton and frankly there are many items missing in your post. I can't ask all the questions to fill in all the missing pieces, so I'll just leave you to ponder "ICF" and hope you find your issue.

In closing, the Dell, with a stock XP install has been known to show no issue with Dell's ethernet card, but it didn't work until the owner updated the BIOS and installed an updated driver for the card. In no uncertain words, MICROSOFT doesn't do this for you and may not show any error that this work is needed.

Its still expected that OS installers "know" about such and their hardware.

Bob

Collapse -
I finally got it . . .
by wc_privateer / May 30, 2004 8:52 AM PDT

by un-installing Norton and doing two back-to-back resettings of the darn base station. Can't believe it was this difficult.
Thanks for the help!
Tom

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.