Desktops forum

General discussion

How To Determine When To Purchase More RAM Chips

by LsuEduMsn / March 14, 2008 1:09 AM PDT

Hi,

Re: How To Determine When To Purchase More RAM Chips and Video Card

How do you determine when to purchase more hardware in XP Home?

The Kernel Memory shows 54256 total. The Kernel Memory Pages shows 33460 while watching Foxnews Video: http://www.foxnews.com/video2/

The CPU 2.6 Ghz runs up to 75% - 100% most times while watching Video on IE 7.x.

How do you determine when you need to add more RAM chips or a Video card? This PRESARIO S5100NX has 512RAM with onboard Video. The taskmgr shows Physical Memory: 515608. When watching VIDEO on IE 7.x the Available memory gets down to 65000.

If I buy more hardware, Video Card with 256MB and more RAM; 1024 that should help it. But my main question is by watching TaskMgr how do you know when the Memory is used up so much you need to buy more RAM?

Regards,

LsuEdu in New Orleans, Louisiana, Enjoy Your Gumbo

COMPAQ PRESARIO S5100NX
XP Home; Service Pak 2
2.6 Ghz; 60 GIG HD
512 Ram, Wireless DSL
Creative Labs Audigy SE

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How To Determine When To Purchase More RAM Chips
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How To Determine When To Purchase More RAM Chips
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
ram is so cheap now, just upgrade
by ramarc / March 14, 2008 1:36 AM PDT
Collapse -
Available Memory
by LsuEduMsn / March 14, 2008 3:06 AM PDT

Thank you for the reply.

It has never showed more RAM use than what is installed. I was looking for a cut off point at which time more RAM should be installed before the PC started running out of available Physical Memory.

Sorta like cooking gumbo. For every 4 persons, add 1 # more of smoked sausage.

Should I let the available Physical Memory get to 128000 or 64000 or 256000 or ?? before adding more memory?

Regards,

LsuEdu in New Orleans, Louisiana, Enjoy Your Gumbo

Collapse -
512 MBs RAM is not enough RAM for Windows XP .. it will
by VAPCMD / March 14, 2008 6:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Available Memory

work but it's just not enough efficient, smooth operation.

Looks like the MAX RAM for this system is 1GB with max of 512MBs in each slot. It will give you a noticeable improvement in overall system performance.

# Maximum Memory: 1024MB
# USB Support: 2.x Compliant
# Standard Memory: 256MB removeable
# Slots: 2 (2 banks of 1)

Each memory slot can hold DDR PC2700,DDR PC3200 with a maximum of 512MB per slot.*

Good Luck

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Being practical
by Willy / March 14, 2008 8:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Available Memory

Review your system specs as to the full capable installable ram. If the other poster is correct, than 1gb is the most you can install, for XP system this seems to be the most practical amount to have installed. Your system has 512mb now, but is that 2x256mb or 1x512mb? If 2x256mb, then removal of those ram sticks is needed to mount 2x512mb and if 1x512mb, then add 1x512mb more to get to 1gb ram. This is all up to you for your needs. I'm not going to say it will magical results for having 1gb ram installed it will at least now have ram available for typical usage. Unless you get into extremes of ram demands, then 512mb will continue to do fine, having 1gb allows it to flex it muscles sorta speak when it needs to. FYI - If you messed with virtual memory allocations, don't as under XP it does this well thus return to default values, if not disregard.

Gumbo, good stuff -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Gumbo and Add-Ons
by LsuEduMsn / March 15, 2008 1:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Being practical

I finally found the CPC 100% problem. While checking TaskMgr I was watching / sorting / Processes | Memory Usage

I happen to notice the other column; CPU so it was sorted by size. The CPU Hog / Pig / was; iexplorer.exe

So as a test iexplorer was closed then opened with a Right Click | Open with No Add In's. That was the trick / problem. It runs perfect now, very smooth and very seldom ever to 100%.

So, one of the IE 7.x, Add-Ons is Zydeco'ed out. Two 512 RAM chips were ordered from Crucial; $29.95 and one PNY 256MB Video Card. It should run excellent now.

Thanks for all the help, links and tips.

Collapse -
XP on 512MB is fine here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 14, 2008 6:21 AM PDT

My older laptop has XP, 512MB, Athlon 2GHz and blows the doors off our Vista 1 and 2GB equipped laptops. The newer laptops have dual core, etc. I'd let it be if yours works like mine.
Bob

Collapse -
Huuuummmm
by Dango517 / March 14, 2008 2:54 PM PDT

Here is some general information regarding up grades from HP:

http://h71036.www7.hp.com/hho/cache/8941-0-0-225-121.html?jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

From your post: The CPU 2.6 GHz runs up to 75% - 100% most times while watching Video on IE 7.x.

What processor are you running? How old is this PC?

Are you sure its not simply having problems? Run this test:

http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

Try this software:

http://www.download.com/WinCleaner-Memory-Optimizer/3000-2086_4-10551188.html?tag=lst-1

To RAM or not to RAM? And the answer is yes and as much as possible. That "as possible" part can be a bit tricky.

See this site for recommendations on upgrades.

http://www.crucial.com/systemscanner/

Run the scan. You could of course buy from this company (they are very good, by the way. I have some RAM on the way as we speak from this brand.) or you might just print screen the page for those very important specifications.

Now about that Graphics card/chip. Which one? See device manager, display adapter if your unsure. Sorry, we need specifics to help you.

How are things in the land of zydeco? I miss Doug Kershaw:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=DYRbfA2Vg4g&feature=related&session=dzoHJIVvkFPTCzcKI_3Zit_F0tA2rUHdPE808XYmbTrlf0ZhvNIUXwgzSGVbh7yNjxU7eKW5Y0fJnj3gtlBir_4kVzdiiuhcUPeDhtqgYqHX04pXgdH4GZLSGRnMKYZFKdEfZwyn0QTGgSgJDMH-4Y9ygY3X0162EbG1Bur8Qfhy7afKvKSyrKFVzqzJDOQdvKhz7iwKgHEu-Z0UTHPjnxvTOnE1g3Juy3QkGV5SggVtze9zpNs-NFjaC1fodX0XgPxwvm1q67xjzzjPTFWhuJcnWKFeAUIsfevXVIwrU8m0l3W_vRqvrK-aSVmGdSQg

Collapse -
Zydeco Lt. Gov
by LsuEduMsn / March 15, 2008 1:19 AM PDT
In reply to: Huuuummmm

I finally found the CPC 100% problem. While checking TaskMgr I was watching / sorting / Processes | Memory Usage

I happen to notice the other column; CPU so it was sorted by size. The CPU Hog / Pig / was; iexplorer.exe

So as a test iexplorer was closed then opened with a Right Click | Open with No Add In's. That was the trick / problem. It runs perfect now, very smooth and very seldom ever to 100%.

So, one of the IE 7.x, Add-Ons is Zydeco'ed out. Two 512 RAM chips were ordered from Crucial; $29.95 and one PNY 256MB Video Card. It should run excellent now.

Regards, ~ LsuEdu

Collapse -
memory
by rjb2008 / March 15, 2008 1:30 AM PDT
In reply to: Zydeco Lt. Gov

How can I be sure if I'm ordering the right memory. How do I know how many pins my chip has? Win Vista. Have 2 slots, one empty 512

Collapse -
Memory Config
by LsuEduMsn / March 15, 2008 1:52 AM PDT
In reply to: memory

Go to crucial dot com and run their memory configurator.

LsuEdu

Collapse -
About IE 7 being a hog
by morrie 52 / March 16, 2008 12:13 AM PDT
In reply to: memory

I use Firefox and that can consume a lot of ram with numerous tabs open,but keep a eye open for the Firefox 3 currently in beta 4,this seems to be less hoggy than IE 7 or foxy also faster and looking damn fine at the moment.
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all-beta.html

Collapse -
Tuesday With Morrie
by LsuEduMsn / March 16, 2008 1:52 AM PDT
In reply to: About IE 7 being a hog

Hi Tuesdays With Morrie,

I will try the new foxfire as I enjoy the testing new software. After 3 or 4 browsers this PC might really go.

LsuEdu In New Orleans

Collapse -
Now wait a minute................
by Dango517 / March 16, 2008 6:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Tuesday With Morrie

I just checked my process explorer and it showed 0-1% CPU usage for Internet explorer and that 1% was only briefly over a long interval (30 seconds). If your having this much trouble with it you might look else where.

Start by running your Malware and anti-Virus software.

This might be an add-on so watch those ActiveX down loads/installations closely and try and identify the offender, if possible.

Make sure these programs are up to date. Down load a new copy of Adobe Flash Player. Media players need to be updated routinely as well. Most of these are done automatically but in this situation do them manually. I'd suggest Real Player as your only Media Player.

There is another possibility, sometimes programs become corrupt and begin to loop. If this is the problem then you might be in trouble.

Task Manager and Process Explorer are very similar and for the most part have one important task to do. Keep an eye on the processes running through the CPU not the RAM. RAM is simply efficient storage (like a USB memory stick). The work gets done in the CPU.

Video is a very demanding process for computers. This has become a bigger problem because of the introduction of HD video on the web. Only Video games put the CPU under more load. Surfing the web by itself is of little consequence for modern day PCs and CPUs. A $5.00 solar calculator could do it. Happy

This is a rough hierarchy of CPU/PC demand by application type:

1-5% web surfing/office programs
5-20% photographic programs (photoshop or gimp).
30% on line audio
50-75+% on line video
75-100+% gaming

This is a good "rule of thumb" guide, only. I have no data on this other then my own observations. These are guesstimates but I'm close, very close.

Frankly, I think your PC is OK. I think your just putting it under load when you run videos. "This is normal." Unfortunately, I can't see your task manager as it's running.

Collapse -
Unfortunately, I can't see
by LsuEduMsn / March 16, 2008 11:21 AM PDT

""Unfortunately, I can't see your task manager as it's running""

Thanks for the very detailed High I.Q. article. You must be a technical writer. Read to learn, write to think.

When the IE 7.x icon is right clicked | Start without add ons | it runs very smooth and never hangs the CPU in TaskMgr.

After all the tests and many answers it seems to all boil down to the CPU and RAM memory. So with this 2.6 CPU and kicking the memory up to 1024MB this Presario will run like a deer, a John Deere.

Regards, LsuEdu In New Orleans Louisiana

Collapse -
Well not an Interstate machine
by Dango517 / March 16, 2008 1:51 PM PDT

it will certainly last you a good long time if it's like a Deere. I've done many things in my life. I have a little experience with those Deere's as well. They are very fine machines. Hope your computer parts don't cost you as much as those Deere parts do, ouch. A real pain to start in the Winter here in the mid-west.

Collapse -
St Louis
by LsuEduMsn / March 17, 2008 3:21 AM PDT

I worked for a Networking co out of St. Louis for 7 years. Good Ole' Midwest PPL.

But, you can see my PC | Help | Request Help | Remote

I have nothing CIA or FBI on here so if you ever need to practice you can log on | Remote Control | My PC

Regards, LsuEdu John Deere In The Atchafalaya Basin Swamps

Collapse -
Nope, I've been "burnt" more then a few times. Sorry.
by Dango517 / March 17, 2008 1:18 PM PDT
In reply to: St Louis

In fact it's time to security up grade. I run a pretty secure PC but there's always room for improvement and I've been getting sloppy about it. Longer interval between scans and trusting when I should doubt, that sort of thing.

Collapse -
About this
by Dango517 / March 17, 2008 2:19 PM PDT

From your post:

"Thanks for the very detailed High I.Q. article. You must be a technical writer. Read to learn, write to think."

There are a very board range of user that seek assistance here from the technologically elite professional to the first day novice, perhaps at times I provide information "overload" but I never know whom I'm talking too so I provide information to back up my comments and suggestions and hopefully provide some information that might be useful at the same time, if nothing else. That's the way I do it, moderators and other "assists" like myself have there own individual approaches, hopefully some of us can solve a few problems.

We have many connectivity problems here, you might want to give it a try. No one gets payed for helping, by the way and anyone willing to "roll up there sleeves" can participate.

Collapse -
See "PC hardware forum" for those connectivity issues,
by Dango517 / March 17, 2008 2:25 PM PDT
In reply to: About this

usually they show up there. It might be wise "not" to tell them you worked in this field. Happy

Collapse -
WOW
by Dango517 / March 15, 2008 12:00 PM PDT
In reply to: Zydeco Lt. Gov

Great to hear that about Doug Kershaw. I had no idea. I wasn't sure if he was still with us. Also great trivia to hear that about the Apollo mission. I remember the mission but not his song. What I remember about his music was that it was a mix of rock/country and Cajun, on I believe, an electric violin. Great stuff, I thought he was under rated and a unique sound for the times. I was maybe 10-12 years old then.

Also glad you've solved your CPU problem.

My best to you, the people of Louisiana and New Orleans, the "Phoenix City".

Collapse -
how do you know if you need more memory
by pc_tech2008 / March 18, 2008 9:36 AM PDT

answer ... when you pc keep freezing.

1> if you have internet security and software like mcafee suite, norton system work and internet security etc...

these software constantly update as you go online and expect each file update the file size gets bigger and smaller high % of the time

norton and mcafee loads lots of stuff into memory that can freeze up your computer especially if you have old pc.

if you play game a lot or do a lot of graphic related work or photoshop/paint shop type of work the more memory you have the better you will be protected from system halt or crashes or freezes as you do your work.

if you are the type of person that opens up many program and work on them at the same time having more memory is recommended you do not want to spend hours of editing a photo or clipart and the pc freezes on you.

you decide what you want, memory are cheap now a days when you catches it on sale and add in coupon code for additional discount just do some google searches for coupon code, product rebate is also some help if available

hope this helps

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?