Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

How to determine extent of virus attack on PC?

by thebrently / October 4, 2010 5:51 PM PDT

PC crashed; appears corrupted by "WORM.WIN32.NETSKY" and "TROJAN SPM/LX". Have these inconveniences chewed up the OS only or shall I write off the entire C: drive? How do I determine the extent of the virus? Will I make matters worse trying to salvage the two slave drives having data content only?
PC has three HD's. C: (master) had OS and some data; no partitions. Other two HD's are (slave) data only. OS= WinXP Home, SP3. My plan was to remove C: drive from PC; recon the HD and retrieve salvageable data files/folders that I could recognize while utilizing another PC. After I captured the data I wanted, I was simply going to reformat this HD and reload the OS. Am I looking for trouble as I attempt to retrieve the data only?
My original comments regarding the crash were posted in late Jan 2010. I just shelved the PC until I had more time to troubleshoot. Thanks for your input. Mr B.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to determine extent of virus attack on PC?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to determine extent of virus attack on PC?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Since you have the threat/virus name
by Donna Buenaventura / October 4, 2010 9:19 PM PDT

It is easier to determine the impact on the system or drives.
Example is one of the threat you got is the Netsky worm that have variants, but general info is similar to what Microsoft have on their malware encyclopedia:

The Netsky family is a mass-mailing worm that targets computers running certain versions of Microsoft Windows. The worm sends itself to e-mail addresses that it finds on the infected computer. When a user opens an e-mail attachment that contains a Netsky variant, the worm is activated. Some variants copy the worm to network-share folders. Some variants contain a backdoor component and perform denial of service (DoS) attacks.

If you are planning to get some stuff from the infected hard-drive using another PC, the clean PC must be up-to-date (so that known vulnerability that worm is using to attack won't work) and have an up-to-date antivirus that can detect such type of high risk threat.
That way, if the malware is blocked/prevented to do what it is coded/programmed to do, while you are retrieving some clean files from the infected hard-drive to the clean PCs' drive.

Collapse -
The link
by Donna Buenaventura / October 4, 2010 9:20 PM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?